I maybe a failure in my college exam!

I don't like to memory the definition in books,so I got a middle level mark (sorted 15 in 41 students).

It no I don't want to ,but definition is too ugly to memory.

instead I speed much of time in programming ----win32asm,vc++,vc#,asp.net.

I don't kown which one is important,the lession in college,or the programming?
Posted on 2004-06-21 07:02:13 by qiu
Afternoon, qiu.

You could try building programs which help you to learn those definitions.

That way, you don't have to decide which to do ;p .

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2004-06-21 07:48:12 by Scronty
but in china,exam just exam,it take little(almost null thing) about the programming.My teacher who have a doctor degree say he is to old to program,although he is only in 30s.I think he is looking down in the students like me,he think programming is no done by a doctor.
I have try to build programs with my lesson,but it go useless.
My teach model just "Memory" the book.
In my class,most cann't self build a program,but they all get a good mark.
I find that they are talented in memory,but no me.

when yous in college,how about your study?

regards!
Posted on 2004-06-21 08:07:56 by qiu

but in china,exam just exam,it take little(almost null thing) about the programming.My teacher who have a doctor degree say he is to old to program,although he is only in 30s.I think he is looking down in the students like me,he think programming is no done by a doctor.
I have try to build programs with my lesson,but it go useless.
My teach model just "Memory" the book.
In my class,most cann't self build a program,but they all get a good mark.
I find that they are talented in memory,but no me.

when yous in college,how about your study?

regards!

The fact that the other students cannot build a program, is pretty bad because that is what they are there for, to learn how to program. I'm not sure how well they will do in the job market if they cannot make a program.
Posted on 2004-06-21 08:36:17 by x86asm
I have my programming exam in 2 days and I still haven't started studing for it. The programming part is done, only few have passed - it's a common thing in computer science classes (..well it is here!) for students not to be able to pass exams. Very few actually code at home and only a few smart ones were able to learn to code some sorting and binary trees during this year.

Grades?? :) Who cares as long as you can pass :)
I'd bee happy with 6 (out of 10) in each course except programming ralated ones :)
Posted on 2004-06-21 08:54:49 by Milos
In china ,there is something different,most of us want to go to the further education ,they don't care of the application.what they need is get a good mark,then go for a master degree.As I known ,little master degree student good at programming.I think they don't have enough time to because they don't programming during their undergraduate time.
Now because I pay too much time in programing (although I am a begainner in win32asm,before that I pay a lot of time in vc++),I weak in study and I decide not to go to the further education.That mean I will graduate next year of june.

Because I study in the China People's Public Security University ,I think I will work as a police.
Posted on 2004-06-21 08:56:16 by qiu
Elitism is evident in China I guess. It is also present in my country whereby only the best gets to be in the cabinet (which is filled up by scholars). Perhaps it is the common perception that studies (ie getting a degree) is the key to survival in the job market, because there will always be demand for those with teritary education. However it may be because of this, people end up memorising textbook/lecture notes etc just for the sake of examinations/tests instead of for own passion and own interest. For me, I have many interest and I tend to read up on them. I am also interested in programming, thus I do some programming when I have free time.
Posted on 2004-06-21 10:59:46 by roticv
Sounds like Korea.
Posted on 2004-06-21 12:12:45 by ThoughtCriminal
I have memory problems and I keep forgetting things.

I try to understand the whole subject and visualize and keep memorization to minimal. I like to create real life scenes and/or sequences of images on my mind that can be related to the subject at hand. Like a movie. It has to be interesting or else I would forget what I was thinking.

This helped me keep in par with memorization freaks in high school and in college. LOL. :grin:

In my experience this is best done while your teacher is discussing, so that you don't need the book to go over the whole lesson. The book is just to reinforce your studies.

This way, I don't spend too much time on books and make use of the time for projects or homeworks. And when there is free time, I love to use that time for my hobbies like programming. :grin:

It balances out the 2 needs you need and/or want to do. You don't have to sacrifice one for the other. Of course sometimes, you need to but you don't have to, all the time.

:alright:
Posted on 2004-06-21 13:11:51 by arkane
Hi qiu,

I think your studies at the college are much more important for you as they will be decisive for your future.
Posted on 2004-06-21 13:19:33 by Vortex
you should try to get as high a degree as you can, you have your whole life to program, the time of study is really only now.

A higher degree will open many more doors while not limiting your options to program.
Posted on 2004-06-21 15:15:15 by Hiroshimator
Not to rain on anyones parade, and we certainly are not a programming company but we do check transcripts and do seriously consider the marks and the quality of the school when screening recruits. It also greatly effects your starting salary, for example a top 10 percentile Harvard MBA will get roughly $250,00 a year starting, a top 10 percentile University of Saskatchewan MBA will get around $75,000. We also go to great lengths to verify that the guy actually went to that school and the transcript is valid. The reason is simple, your work habits are reflected in the mark and also your ability to grasp new ideas and concepts. Also we require a modicum of knowledge in the field that you wish to apply for, it's only natural, we train to a certain degree but we are not a trade school, if you're not prepared we don't want you.

Being a Canadian company you get extra points if you speak French and English though the principle language of the area where you will be working is all that is actually required. In my job, bilingualism is a requirement as I deal with a large territory in Northern Ontario and Quebec for the most part.
Posted on 2004-06-21 15:29:00 by donkey
Thanks!
Maybe study is more important than others.
Some of the teachers also have told me that college is not a trade school,the same as doney say.I agree with it ,but I find difficult to spend all my time in the study.Maybe I don't have a good habits in study,or I have got impatient with it.

hi ,donkey!

"we require a modicum of knowledge in the field that you wish to apply for"

Do you mean I must study lesson better and don't pay to much time in programming,and then I can get a better job?
Posted on 2004-06-21 18:28:06 by qiu
Hi qiu,

If you are interested in programming by all means concentrate on that aspect of your course. But do not do it to the extent that you let your other marks slip too badly. Any employer will obviously favour employees who did well in the field he is hiring for, however your overall average is equally important.
Posted on 2004-06-21 19:34:31 by donkey

Grades?? :) Who cares as long as you can pass :)
I'd bee happy with 6 (out of 10) in each course except programming ralated ones :)

hi Milos,Maybe you are something similar to me .Here 60(out of 100) is what most of students wants.
But it is enough ?or is it necessary to get a high grades?And high marks mean that I have to spend more time in books.
Posted on 2004-06-21 22:44:07 by qiu