Can I use SoftIce to debug an application compiled with TASM32? It says that I have to generate a codeview debug information, but what does that mean ?

Thank you
Posted on 2004-06-30 20:45:14 by Marginais
mmmm,

try ollydbg.
SoftIce run @ ring0, i prefer ollydbg. Is free, try it.
Posted on 2004-07-02 17:35:59 by Bit7
olly is considerably more buggy than softice, and you dont need to generate codeview debug info to use softice on an exe, tasm32 compiled or otherwise
Posted on 2004-07-02 18:03:30 by evlncrn8
mmm, i didn't find any bug on olly till now ... to debug my tasm applications it seems wok great. Softice gave me some pc paralized, and is not free.
Posted on 2004-07-03 05:15:56 by Bit7
you don't need to generate any debug info to use olly either, and I haven't really experienced any bugs in recent versions. There is (or has been) a whole lot of problems with softice and various windows versions.
Posted on 2004-07-03 11:56:41 by f0dder
Olly is very good and is not "buggy" at all, it has problems with some 16 bit code though, it can't seem to properly decode all the instructions and makes a mess of it. The debug info is only for symbols and has nothing to do with decoding instructions, it just makes it easier to follow the code as procs and labels are named with the same name as in the source code. Mostly I use GoBug as the output is in GoAsm format and it is part of the integrated GoTools suite Olly is still the best freeware one around for Win32. I have never been able to justify buying SoftIce so I have never tried it so I can't really comment much on that, I did try the freeware version of IDA and it f*cked up my machine so bad I had to reformat :mad:
Posted on 2004-07-03 13:24:02 by donkey
rofl Donkey,
how can IDA fuck up the computer ? :P
Posted on 2004-07-03 16:22:02 by wizzra
IDA fscking up your computer? Whaaaat? Can't see how that can happen :/ (I don't think the freeware version has the debugger built in anyway.)
Posted on 2004-07-03 16:49:20 by f0dder

rofl Donkey,
how can IDA fuck up the computer ? :P

I have no idea, and I am not likely to bother to check. I have a stable system, I installed it from the download site at IDA and my PC started to crash. It continued to crash after I tried uninstalling it and taking out the stupid VGA driver that it installed without asking on my laptop. I tried to find the driver file but couldn't so I formatted my drive and will never touch it again. Any program that installs drivers and doesn't ask me first pisses me off, I have a video card that supports 3 outputs simultaneously, Composite video, SVGA and the laptop monitor and IDA f*cked it up, my S3duoview configuration dialog wouldn't even open afterwards.

Perhaps they have fixed it up as I see multiple monitor desktop bugfixes with IDA as well as other video related problems, it may have been related to the problem I had.
Posted on 2004-07-03 17:41:11 by donkey
Hrm, are you sure you aren't confusing IDA to something else? It doesn't install any drivers... softice does, though, and could certainly cause a lot of instability, especially early versions on XP.
Posted on 2004-07-03 17:55:59 by f0dder

Hrm, are you sure you aren't confusing IDA to something else? It doesn't install any drivers... softice does, though, and could certainly cause a lot of instability, especially early versions on XP.

No, it wasn't softice but it was a long time ago, I was sure it was IDA but looking at the website I am now pretty sure that it wasn't. Boy is my face red
:stupid:
Posted on 2004-07-03 18:08:03 by donkey
Maybe it was and maybe it wasn't donkey, but the freeware console version that they offered for download from their site didn't really look anything like the new gui versions. Just thought I'd mention that. My memory fails me so much nowadays that it's nice when someone points out "hey you're not crazy after all." So maybe it was the freeware IDA that you had problems with. Although I didn't have any issues with it except the non-gui interface.

cheers,
will
Posted on 2004-07-06 11:31:51 by Will