I have just installed SoftIce, planning to debug my programs with it. But my system crashed when I started SoftIce.
My OS is WinXp, so I updated some drivers (part of updates downloaded with SoftIce). In the installing process it asked me to choose my display adaptor type, I chose nVidia (Mine is Geforce4 MX440), and the video test went OK. Plus my monitor is a 15inch LCD. I chose ??P/S 2 compatible?? or something as my mouse type. (Mine is a USB photoelectricity mouse made by Logitech. There was no choice of USB mouse, only COM1, COM2, PS2 and None, so I chose PS2.)
Everything went OK until I started SoftIce with the command NET START NTICE. My monitor went black, warning ??Input not supported??, and my system lost response. So I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Delete to reboot my machine, and found that I couldn??t start Windows normally. I entered Safe Mode and restored my system. That??s all.

What the hell was that? Why couldn??t use SoftIce normally? Did I do anything wrong? What can I do?

PS:
I have met a similar situation ( just mentioning the warning message). Once I booted from a CD-ROM disk, the LCD monitor complained the same as this time, while the booting program ran OK in my roommate's PC ( His monitor is 17inch, not LCD, and our display adaptor are both GEFORCE4).

I made a mistake just now. I checked "universal video driver" option by default. So this time I chose nVidia, unchecked that option and tested, and chose none for my mouse type. There came a message that it could not create temp files in the directory of softiceNT or Windows when initializing the configuration, and told me to confirm that the path (which is not decided by me) was right and I had enough disk space (I've got 6GB in C:, 2GB in D: and more or other partitions). How can I fix this problem? Can I use softice normally?
Posted on 2004-07-14 07:43:41 by dislimit
Try what happens, if you set the mouse to None?
Posted on 2004-07-14 08:05:33 by Janne
Are you sure that would help? Installing SoftIce requires two reboots. Plus if it fails I would have to reboot it a third time and restore my system again. That's a tiring job!
Posted on 2004-07-14 08:20:48 by dislimit
The message "INPUT NOT SUPPORTED" was provided by the monitor, not by the program.
Posted on 2004-07-14 08:27:42 by dislimit
I have met a similar situation ( just mentioning the warning message). Once I booted from a CD-ROM disk, the LCD monitor complained the same as this time, while the booting program ran OK in my roommate's PC ( His monitor is 17inch, not LCD, and our display adaptor are both GEFORCE4).
Posted on 2004-07-14 08:35:18 by dislimit
I advise you to contact SoftIce support, I?m pretty sure they can help you.
Posted on 2004-07-14 09:17:43 by WinCC
Your softice version might be too old - XP requires one of the pretty recent softice versions. You should contact compuware support and ask whether your softice version is supported on Windows XP.
Posted on 2004-07-14 11:43:00 by f0dder
^_^
Posted on 2004-07-14 13:08:58 by wizzra
it's not the mouse-configuration making the monitor or softice display that message; it's the video adapter selected.
softice tries to set its own video mode to display. i had this before; it sets a too high horizontal frequency and therefore the monitor switches itself off.
try using the standard video adapter or get another xp-patch.
Posted on 2004-07-14 13:54:12 by hartyl
Thanks.
I switched the display adaptor to standard VGA and that problem seemed to be fixed. However, when I call SOFTICE, there is only a small area turns to black background and white letters, not the whole screen. This is rather annoying. Any solutions?
Posted on 2004-07-14 20:32:06 by dislimit
um.... it's supposed to.
this is the solution, your problem is solved... :)
why is this annoying? you have windows behind that black window, and you can increase the size of the window (i have it at 80x60 chars) - so you see everything at one time.
note: set the size with the command lines.
you can even with F4 hide the softice-window (system is still halted) and look what's behind. pressing F4 again makes it appear again.
Posted on 2004-07-15 11:47:10 by hartyl