Hi all,

i have already seen a lot of threads about experiencing errors from api calls but not looking at the error codes that are returned by GetLastError

from my coding habits i know that it might get some tedious work to insert GetLastError/FormatMessage where you think the error is in the code and to have a messagebox popping up to output that error. to avoid that technique but to know the last error anyway i'd propagate the use of a great debugger like OllyDbg ;)

this great tool displays the last error code along with the formatted error string while you are stepping through your program.

i know this info is pretty general but many seem not to realise how much easier a programmer's life can be when using the right tools.

hope this very first post of mine was alright for all of you.

peace
Posted on 2004-07-28 08:24:11 by
A very good piece of advice indeed - inserting formatmessage and all that is a pretty quick cut-n-paste operation, but still tedious. I was pretty happy when olly came around with the errorstring stuff :)
Posted on 2004-07-28 09:11:43 by f0dder
Or Vkim's Debug Macros, using the PrintError command.
Posted on 2004-07-28 11:35:44 by JimmyClif
Jimmy, wouldn't that still require you to manually insert those statements? Olly is automatic :)
Posted on 2004-07-28 12:51:14 by f0dder
automatication is the subject ... erm... well... you're right... I wasn't thinking straight. :)
Posted on 2004-07-28 13:17:57 by JimmyClif