hi

a little new to programming, overheard someone in #gamikaze on Efnet talking about an app called RADasm, so i got it, went through a few of the tutorials, and started on a small app of my own just for the learning experience...

so now i am coding an overclockers calculator, where all calculations are done in real time, and i am a bit stuck on how to tackle the math...

the app is..

a Win32 app, standard dialog, resembles apps like WCPUID and CPUZ....so far i have a really nice layout, and have completely recreated all calculations and textbox functions with an xls spreadsheet just to make sure i had a feasable idea goin...

i understand this might be very easy for most of you, but this is my first attempt at anything like this, and if given advice, i will gladly take note, and if anyone wants to assist me on this, then i would be more than happy to make it a group effort...

thanx
Posted on 2004-08-02 20:17:27 by benxitd
So you have all the calculations working, just need to code them in asm. In my opinion this is actually the best way to learn math in asm. If you are completely new to the concepts behind floating point math, things like percision for example, then a quick primer tutorial would be a wise start. Raymond has written a very nice one here.

Raymonds tutorial teachs FPU instruction, these are Floating point instructions which are supported on all x86 from 486 up or something like that. Certainly all current PCs support them. However starting with PIIIs intel introduced new math instructions as part of the SSE instruction set, primarly designed for doing calculation in parallel these instructions are much easier to use for basic math operations such as addition, division etc. The PIII SSE intructions only supported single percision, the PIV SSE2 also supports double percision.

If the limitations of these sets, ie no trigonmetric functions and restricting processors that your program will run on, don't concern you for this project then I'd recommend using SSE for its greater speed and simplicity :) .
Posted on 2004-08-03 06:27:32 by Eóin
Raymond's Simply FPU is an excellent guide to using the FPU. I know I certainly wouldn't have got far doing maths stuff in assembly without it.
Posted on 2004-08-03 11:46:09 by DeX
thanx all, and that tut really helped, cleared up alot of confusion.

just out of curiosity, what IDE would you reccomend for doing C++ or Java app development (preferrably with a WYSIWYG preview, like RADASM)?

and thanx again for all the help :)
Posted on 2004-08-03 16:05:35 by benxitd