Hi,
Does any one have any recommendations for books on windows programming, something that covers how windows works as opposed to a guide on a specific language, ive looked at FAQ's and found lots of programming examples etc, but haven't found much on the 'mechanics' of the windows OS.

Many thanks

Mark
Posted on 2004-08-04 03:00:17 by trueazian
Try the MSDN and read the Win DDK - they describe Windows' workflow very well, as far as I saw. It's only for C + asm (of course).
Posted on 2004-08-04 04:03:32 by Ultrano
it depends how deep you want to go. if you just want to code GUI's you should skip the DDK, if you want code drivers or if you are simply curious how the OS works the DDK is interesting too, together with books like "Inside Windows 2000".
Posted on 2004-08-04 07:10:38 by Mbee
Thanks for the advice, I have just brought "Assembly language for intel based computers" by kip R. Irvine, although it doesn't delve deeply into Win32 ASM, it does cover it, I think I'll also look at some of the Charles Petzold 'Tomes' for the win32 API. MSDN is a great place for info, but you have to be logged on to view it, and I like to be able to just pick a book up and browse !

Cheers guys,
Posted on 2004-08-04 08:51:14 by trueazian
If you really want to "look under the hood/bonnet", then the most detailed descriptions of internal Windows workings are by Matt Pietrek and Jeffrey Richter.

Pietrek's "internals" books are out-of-print, and I suspect Richter's "advanced Windows" books are also out-of-print.
Posted on 2004-08-04 18:34:19 by tenkey