Hi Everybody!
I am just learning Win32ASM:stupid: . I use WinASM to edit and MASM8.2 to compile. But I do not know how to debug. I just try to click on the Debug(Ctrl F9) but it not run. I think that I miss something (many things) but I do not know what they are. Please tell me clearly how to debug(Step by Step).
Thank you very much!
:alright:
Posted on 2004-08-08 19:40:53 by zjhlogo
Hi,

You have to set the debugger you want to use from Tools-Options-Miscellaneous.

Please let me know if you still have problems

Antonis
Posted on 2004-08-09 00:55:21 by akyprian
If you haven't got a debugger yet, check http://home.t-online.de/home/Ollydbg/
Posted on 2004-08-09 02:16:13 by f0dder
Thank you very much for your answers!
I dowloaded OllyDebug. I unzipped and change the link of debug in WinAsm as Akybrian said but it still have some problems.
When I set a bookmark and click the Debug it gives a message Execution Failed!
Maybe I did not use it correctly, or maybe I lost some debug info in my code. Please tell me how to do it!
Thank you!

I have experience in programming for PC by Visual Studio, and assbembly on 8051, so I try to do the same things. But maybe that what I wrong.
Posted on 2004-08-10 03:50:08 by zjhlogo
"Execution Failed" message is shown if the debugger is not found. Please make sure that Tools-Options-Miscellaneous-External Debugger path is correct.

Antonis
Posted on 2004-08-10 03:58:41 by akyprian
Thank you for your answers!
Now I could use it. :alright: The problem is my computer has virus W32.Donk.R so it can not run some applications. But now everything is ok.
But does this debuger just run on .exe file? Can it debug directly on .Asm file?
Because in .exe file, the code in pure assembly languge is very difficult to understand with many machine code. So if this debuger can debug on .Asm file, please show me how to use.
Thank!
:stupid:
Posted on 2004-08-10 08:53:08 by zjhlogo
run a virus scanner and remove the virus first.. sheesh, debuggers from from the compiled exe and not the .asm file
Posted on 2004-08-10 10:33:29 by evlncrn8
Hi,

OllyDbg will run the exe.

From WinAsm Studio go Project-Properties-Debug and use these command line options.

assemble: /c /coff /Cp /nologo /Fm /Zi /Zd
Link: /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /DEBUG /VERSION:4.0

and then Make-Set Active Build-Debug Version.

Now Go All and then Debug. You should now be able to have the source available in OllyDbg while debugging the exe.

I hope it helps

Antonis
Posted on 2004-08-11 00:58:31 by akyprian
Is it possible to make ollydbg automatically load the source file into the source window or do you always have to do a "View/Source" and a "View/Source files" and then select the source file wanted?
Posted on 2004-08-11 09:16:29 by JimG