This is the translation in traditional Chinese, many words are a little different in Simp. and Trad. in spite of differences in character shape.
Just like...
Assembly: ??; ????.

All the following translation are very bizarrerie (I guess u got them from an online dicitionary). They are not acceptable by any human beings.

"Macro Assembler" should be translated to (in simp.): ????
"Microsoft" should be "??", as u can see on the title of http://www.microsoft.com/china/

Just like...
Win32 Assembly: ?? 32 ??.
MASM32: ?? 32.
Macro Assembler: ?? ???.

Microsoft: ??; ????? ??????
Posted on 2004-09-04 23:45:44 by optimus
It seems a good beginning. Actually, many non-Chineses do speak Chinese very fluently, as I sometimes see around me. But one thing few of them actually mastered is the 4-intonation of Chinese words. This makes their pronunciation very distinct from a native Chinese.

Well, I took my first test and scored 100%... guess I'm learning something. All I was tested on was some common greetings and the numbers 1-10... nothing complicated, and we had to do some pitch recognition, which is a royal pain but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-09-04 23:51:45 by optimus
Optimus (prime?),

pitches are a pain. When spoken plainly, I can recognize all four (five) tones but when spoken at a normal pace, tones 2 and 3 sound the same so its a matter of knowing the words well enough. My spoken pitches are getting better but it'll be awhile before I have it mastered. Especially the zh sounds that I have no idea how to make.

Thanks,
Shawn
Posted on 2004-09-05 16:34:50 by _Shawn
Yeah I like transformers very much when I was very young and even now.
Tone 2 and 3 sometimes changes to each other according to context. It's hard (for me) to conclude the rule of transformation but it does have a rule.
As to "zh", I think if u r hard to give this sound, maybe u can temporary pronounce it as "dr" in english, with tongues less bent.

Optimus (prime?),

pitches are a pain. When spoken plainly, I can recognize all four (five) tones but when spoken at a normal pace, tones 2 and 3 sound the same so its a matter of knowing the words well enough. My spoken pitches are getting better but it'll be awhile before I have it mastered. Especially the zh sounds that I have no idea how to make.

Thanks,
Shawn
Posted on 2004-09-05 20:14:38 by optimus
i always thought assembly was ????, as for microsoft, it's just a literal translation that i always hear, ??. but of course, roticv is from singapore, and a great percentage of the population there is chinese/china-derived, so...

anyways, my chinese sucks, i can read, but barely write, and i can never get the time to force myself to study any :(
Posted on 2004-09-05 22:46:20 by Drocon
Optimus,

I was into the Transformers, too, when I was a child. In fact, I had every toy that was made through the second generation. I moved one day and never saw the toys again, including a few duplicates that were never opened, like Jetfire, Omega Supreme, and my fave, Metroplex or whatever his name was, and the insecticons and a golden optimus prime, simiular to the golden Zelda NES cartridge of lore.

Now I'm trying to re-collect them but I've found myself paying as much as $980.00 USD for a Jetfire new and in box unopened, or even used, in good condition, $500.00 USD.

I am trying to make an interactive Transformers database where you can interact (play with) the toys in a virtual world and learn statistics about them and transform them and so on. A precursor to actually being able to duke it out in a virtual world. In order to model them, I have to have each toy and the original boxes which described their characteristics. Of course, its not hard to find the same information online, but I'd prefer to have the toys so I know how to transform them and model it in such a way.

I also have a boot-leg of all the cartoons (US Version) and am waiting to get the DVD official releases because my money is currently tied up in purchasing all the Star Trek DVDs (did you know the original series was just released on DVD last week?).

Thanks,
Shawn
Posted on 2004-09-06 00:56:45 by _Shawn
When the cartoon was being shown on TV, I recorded lots of them with VCR. I just like it so much. And I've also collected lots and lots of transformer toys. I have the biggest autobot (appeared in jap. version, I forgot its English name, in Chinese, it's ?????) which transforms into the base of autobots. I'm not quite familiar with the English name of the robots (except for some well-known guys, like Optimus Prime, Megatron etc.), but I know all of them in Chinese. Your idea of creating a software to let people play with them virtually is just wonderful. I'm really expecting it!
Posted on 2004-09-07 04:25:43 by optimus
I have the biggest autobot (appeared in jap. version, I forgot its English name, in Chinese, it's ?????) which transforms into the base of autobots.
Metroplex. I was very fortunate to get this one for my birthday at the time the Transformer movie came out.
Posted on 2005-02-22 15:53:41 by bitRAKE
shawn,
may i ask why are u so interested in learning chinese. i mean there are many other forms of self-torture :-D , but why did u choose learning chinese ... :wink:
Posted on 2005-02-22 18:21:06 by clippy
I don't know exactly the reason for choosing Chinese. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that where I live, I am heavily surrounded by Spanish, French, Farsi and Urdu language speakers. I see their culture, and live in cities heavily populated by these people.

I wanted to learn a language and a culture that is very foreign to anything I'm exposed to. Sure, there are many Asian people where I live, but I'm not inundated with thier lifestyle and culture everywhere I go. If I am, it is mostly Vietnamese moreso than Chinese/Japanese/Korean.

So I picked a language that I've never been able to comprehend (I can partially understand Russian, Farsi, Spanish, French though I can't commumicate it) but I've never been able to comprehend a single word in Chinese.

Also, I'm majoring in business so I thought a minor in Chinese would be good. I'll double major in Software Engineering, as well.

As I started learning the language (I have an 800 word vocabulary I can read/write/speak now (20 weeks since I started) I've come to appreciate the culture very extensively and hope one day I can spend a year or two in China.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2005-02-24 17:24:28 by _Shawn
Chinese has some common syntax with Japanese and Korean I think.
If you learn chinese, both cantonese and mandarin you'll be able to learn
Japanese and Korean.

Good luck!
Posted on 2005-02-26 23:02:58 by Xor Stance