Hello. I have a pretty weird problem with TASM ideal mode. If I'm not mistaken, this program should work:

http://www.lumental.com/ta.txt

However, when I compile it, I get these errors:

**Error** ta.asm(18) Symbol already different kind: POSVALTYPE
**Error** ta.asm(22) Undefined symbol: POINT

I've read the instructions for "paradigm assembler", which is supposed to be a TASM 5.0 clone, and it looks like the code "should" work. Anyone know the source of these errors?

More info: If I just declare a structure with simple members and access those simple members, it all works fine. But if I ever try to have a member of a type created by a typedef or another struc, the assembler gives these unexpected errors. If I try to access a member of a type created by typedef or a struc by using indirection (pointer to the struc), it gives the error "ID not member of structure", even though it very clearly is.

Aren't nested structs supposed to be possible in ideal mode? I just spent the last 2 days converting all of my ASM code to ideal mode just so that I can do this. Please help me Obi Wan Kenobe. You're my only hope.
Posted on 2004-08-29 05:41:24 by yessopotamus
here it works without problems, my tasm is:

Turbo Assembler  Version 5.3  Copyright (c) 1988, 2000 Inprise Corporation

i got it with the borland compiler i bought, if i remember correctly.

but, the .exe it generated had no entrypoint, so i added:

start:

end start

around the code in the codeseg.

good luck :)
Posted on 2004-08-29 06:47:10 by lifewire
This one assembled with LzAsm:

model flat
public start

Struc PosType
Row dw ?
Col dw ?
Ends PosType

Union PosValType
Pos PosType ?
Val dd ?
Ends PosValType

dataseg

Point PosValType ?

codeseg
start:

mov [Point.Pos.Row], bx ; OK: Move BX to Row component of Point

END start
Posted on 2004-08-29 07:02:24 by Vortex
Thanks! I downloaded TASM 5.3 from the Borland website (by downloading the builder 6 C++ trial), and it works perfectly. Unfortunately, lzasm doesn't seem to be available from what seems to be its home page (file not found).
Posted on 2004-08-29 19:32:23 by yessopotamus