Hi!

After hours of searching the net my mind finally ended up in a mess about .dll & .lib files :? . So I hope you could get me some help to solve my problems...

I have a very huge dll which is exporting by ordinal only. I also have the according .h header and a lib file for linking.

Now I don't want to include a 1.2 MB dll in my project which has a size of 34kB. So I thought why not convert the dll into a static lib and gave dll2lib a try.
This worked without problems until I wanted to link my project with this new static lib. The funtions in the lib generated out of the dll by dll2lib are exported by ordinal as they where in the original dll. I supplied the original lib which includes the function names to dll2lib but it doesn't include them in the new static lib.
I contacted the dll2lib developer about this but didn't get any response.

Then I tried to generate a .def file (don't know if this is the right way) from the dll with impdef.exe. Sadly that didn't work. Also lib2def.exe as found in icz masm lib tut doesn't do the trick.

Do you have any idea to solve this problem?
How can I tell the linker which ordinal to use for a specific function name?
Is there any way to inject the function names in the static lib generated by dll2lib?

Maybe I did miss something plz post any suggestions you have.

Thanks for help
atz
Posted on 2004-08-29 10:11:34 by atzplzw