Hi,
I dont know it is suitable for this forum but I want to tell my 2 hours journey about this api.I made one program and added xp style to my app with adding below line to resource

1 24 DISCARDABLE "theme.xml"

It worked on my 2 xp system, one home other pro.However my friend told that it is not working on his xp(xp turkish).Program just quits.I have also compiled my app without above line and put myapp.exe.manifest to same directory as my program.Program crashed again :) If exe file dont calls InitCommonControls you can crash it by putting simple manifest file to same directory.Vey weird for me.Anyway just want to inform on this maybe off topic.
Posted on 2004-09-02 17:38:56 by LaptoniC
InitCommonControls is deprecated. Use InitCommonControlsEx instead
Posted on 2004-09-03 02:49:39 by greenant
So much for the people that said you don't need to call InitCommonControls* but just reference it, so the right DLL gets included in your PE import section... heh.
Posted on 2004-09-03 03:13:44 by f0dder
Hello all,

I have just one question, when an API get deprecated - does that mean that MS is doing away with that api completly (or will include a wrapper function for that call)?
You see using InitCommonControls/Ex, is somewhot a simple example as they both do the same thing except the Ex version allows you to specify the type of Modal that will effect you apps. As in will CommonCtrls be availible to your threads la,la,bla,bla. At the moment i am very happy just to use InitCommonControls and skip the /Ex stuff for now - strange the same applies with COM but then i skip that and use OleIni....

So what is the deal with this stuff, i hardly use CreateWindowEx cause i always make the StyleEx Null.

Deal?

Black iCE
Posted on 2004-09-03 07:43:25 by Black iCE
So much for the people that said you don't need to call InitCommonControls* but just reference it, so the right DLL gets included in your PE import section... heh.

I think that was right for the first versions of the common controls libraries, when InitCommonControls was just a retn. In fact, that's what the win32.hlp file says.
Posted on 2004-09-03 19:15:17 by QvasiModo
QvasiModo, my point was that you shouldn't rely on how some routine is implemented in one version of windows. Things change, and the implementation of InitCommonControls obviously did.

Black iCE, deprecated just means that "there are other ways that are prefered" - not that the routine will disappear. Global/LocalAlloc are still supported even on XP and 2003, even though there's no reason whatsoever from using them, they are leftovers from the 16bit windows days.
Posted on 2004-09-04 01:09:59 by f0dder