:lol: At Iczelion's tutorial I downloaded the link win32asm.exe. In 'TurboZip Self-Extracting ZIP File' box I check the 'Restore path names' checkbox. When select first 20 items and click 'extract' button nothing happens. The only items that give a response are those beginning with 'Win32ASM\Win32Proto'. With these clicking extract button gives error 'UNZIP Alert' box: UNZIP error:error creating output file (problem extracting file) OK.
There is also a 'TurboZip' box with the same message.
Seeking help with this error.
Black iCE responded to this question before but I could not access the link because the site was hacked. I also had to re-register.

-c
Posted on 2004-09-02 20:57:06 by chez
Hi,

You can download the latest version from here :

http://www.masm32.com/masmdl.htm

:wink:
Posted on 2004-09-02 22:26:00 by Jurgen
Thanks, that's the version of masm32 that I have, 8.2. The problem software 'TurboZIP Self-Extracting ZIP File' is supposed to explain how to use MASM so basically that's what I need.

-c
Posted on 2004-09-03 06:57:04 by chez
Hey chez,
Right - are you having trouble extracting the Masm32 package? You are saying that the sfx (self extarcting) isn't working for you? Strange, cause last time you posted about MASM32.exe and on www.win32asm.cjb.net there were only .zip files. If you are having trouble with sfx then get it @ www.win32asm.cjb.net and use winzip to extract the files required. (Usally installed in c:\masm32).

If i am misunderstanding you would you plz correct me.

The tutorials in the above menthond site, this board has them too, is what tells you how to use MASM to make 32bit Windows applications.

Are you refering to the Source Code App's placed on his site, namely HTTP Zip Downloader v1.2 - "all that i could find about zip there".

Black iCE
Posted on 2004-09-03 07:24:45 by Black iCE
:) Click on 'Tutorials' below 'Menu' at top left from the first link of the previous post. Connect to win32asm.exe link at 2nd line from top. This is supposed to explain how to use MASM. Opening or downloading the win32asm.exe file shows the TurboZIP Self-Extracting ZIP File dialog box. I keep getting an error when I try using 'extract' tab.

Already downloaded MASM and have the QEDITOR. Trying to learn assembly.

-c
Posted on 2004-09-03 16:08:59 by chez
So sorry but i don't find "connect to win32asm.exe". The status bar always says either .zip or .txt.

Can you say where on the imgage attached plz.

Removed pic... why take up unnessary space

Black iCE
Posted on 2004-09-05 04:38:02 by Black iCE
Under 'Iczelion's tutorial Series', at left there is 'Win32 Assembly'. (Sorry I omitted this) Click 'Tutorial 1: The Basics'. You'll see win32asm.exe link at 2nd line from top.

-c
Posted on 2004-09-05 07:51:45 by chez
I see what you mean now. I also have the same error. I have extracted the files one by one and rebuilt the directory struct... so i am not shure about the file(s) integraty but they all seem ok. Here i attach the rebuild struct in a zip format for you. (Used Windows XP shell extension ZIP to create it)

I tested some doc's and they all work so i am quite sure that the job is done correctly.

Happy hunting/Learning chez

Kindly,
Black iCE
Posted on 2004-09-05 09:56:22 by Black iCE
Thanks, the DOC says I need to know assembly before using MASM: -

It is intended for assembly language programmers

? who are already fluent in Intel (32-bit) assembly language,
? who know enough Win32 programming to write (or at least read and fully understand) a Win32 program in the C language,
? who have access to and understanding of the Microsoft?s Win32 SDK documentation and tools and
? who are looking for all the useful details that Microsoft carefully refrained from explicitly documenting.
-
I'm a newbie to assembly and did a little win32 (with OpenGl). Downloaded Emu 8086 - Assembler and 8086/8088 Microprocessor and Emulator to learn assembly. Is there a better software than this one?

-c
Posted on 2004-09-07 04:39:36 by chez
Here you go chez, i will recommend this to learn Assembly.
http://cs.smith.edu/~thiebaut/ArtOfAssembly/artofasm.html

But for windows programming you don't need to be a ASM God at all. The basic mov,pop,push,lea,add,sub,mul,div operations are basically used combined with INVOKE to create Windows Apps.

But -- for specific use, algorythms and optimization it is recommended that you know asm in detail.

Don't dispair, the WinAsm Tuts are basically all you need to make Win32Asm apps.

But why are you using emulation software?

Black iCE
Posted on 2004-09-07 04:45:44 by Black iCE
Thanks for the link. I wanted an assembly editor so I downloaded the Emu 8086. Seems maybe I got the wrong stuff. Glad to know I don't have to go deep into assembly before doing win32 asm.

-c
Posted on 2004-09-07 12:33:08 by chez
If you are looking for and editor, it could be Notepad.exe but i preferre to use WinAsm Studio.
Here is a link:
http://www.code4u.net/winasm/downloads.htm

Ps use Olly Debugger, google for it. That can save you a hell of a lot of headache's.
Posted on 2004-09-08 01:35:46 by Black iCE
Do I need to save Olly Debugger in the WinAsm Studio folder?

wrote the code below in WinAsm Studio editor. Created project, select Make from menu and then Assemble. Got the following error;

C:\WinAsm\Bin\ML /c /coff /Cp /nologo /I"C:\WinASM\Include" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\test1.asm"

Make error: Cannot create process.

.486 ;<- opcode set = lowest cpu the program will run on
.model flat,stdcall ;<- flat memory model, with standard calling convention
option casemap:none
include \masm32\include\windows.inc ;<- this contains a bunch of Windows equates and structs
include \masm32\include\user32.inc ;<- now we add includes and libs which support functions we want to call
include \masm32\include\kernel32.inc ;<- most of your Win32 apps will contain at least these two "api includes"
includelib \masm32\lib\user32.lib ;<- for every "api include" there should be a matching "LIB"
includelib \masm32\lib\kernel32.lib
.DATA
szMyFirstString db "Hello World!",0
szMyTitle db "Win32 Demo",0
.CODE
start:
invoke MessageBox,0,addr szMyFirstString,addr szMyTitle,MB_OK
invoke ExitProcess,0
end start

Wondering if my code is correct.

-c
Posted on 2004-09-08 07:38:39 by chez
No, save it where you like -- under options look for missulanious and you point the debugger field to the Olly exe. And that is it. Enjoy coding.
Posted on 2004-09-08 07:45:07 by Black iCE
Make error: Cannot create process means that the assembler and or linker are not found. Be sure set the binary path from Tools-Options. Usually this is c:\masm32\bin

I hope this helps,

Antonis
Posted on 2004-09-08 16:42:35 by akyprian
The masm32 and WinAsm folders were separate on the C drive. I copied masm32 folder to the WinAsm folder and the program worked.

-c 8)
Posted on 2004-09-09 15:56:23 by chez