I have an annoying problem seems to plague my every version of Windows after so many updates or so much time, not sure which...

Everytime I open a window, and try to establish the Detail View for certain folders, and for others the icon view (such as the control panel or admin tools), the window size and such, once I reboot the machine, it reverts back to something else.

No matter how many times I tell the control panel to use the Icon view, it always sets itself back to the detail view upon reboot. No matter how many times I tell the "My Documents" to use the detail view, it resets back to the Icon view upon reboot.

No matter how many times I specify the width of "My Compuer", once I reboot, it resets to something else.

Does anybody know what the problem is and whether it can be fixed? I have had this problem since the dawn of time with Windows and even now on WinXP Pro SP1 (Machine A), WinXP Pro SP1 (Machine B), Win2k Server SP4 (Machine C), and a few others like machane A and C, it happens on all of them. It also happens on the Win98SE drives I have that run on either a physical HD or in a virtual machine (Virtual PC).

I think Windows just gets corrupted too easily.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-09-10 00:39:11 by _Shawn
Everytime I open a window, and try to establish the Detail View for certain folders, and for others the icon view (such as the control panel or admin tools), the window size and such, once I reboot the machine, it reverts back to something else.
This one is easy: in file explorer, Tools-> Folder Options->View tab->Scroll down the advanced settings list->Tick "remember each folder's view settings".

No matter how many times I specify the width of "My Compuer", once I reboot, it resets to something else.
This one bugs me too and i don't know the solution.
Posted on 2004-09-10 03:11:32 by sluggy
The width of My Computer is fixed too. I which that I could make it smaller, since I always need space on my desktop. The width of My Monitor is annoying too :(
Posted on 2004-09-10 10:41:53 by lifewire
This one is easy: in file explorer, Tools-> Folder Options->View tab->Scroll down the advanced settings list->Tick "remember each folder's view settings".

Yeah, I have that set, but every now and again I need to change my folders. Nothing worse than traveling 5 solders deep to a place where I travel often (exampe: "C:\development\source\asm\OpenVideoToaster\edit\" and then for no explainable reason, everything is in Icon mode. So I set it back to detail view, and it resets itself when I reboot.

I'm aware of the "Apply to all folders" but that doesn't work, the views still reset themselves.

Thanks,
Shawn.
Posted on 2004-09-10 16:09:53 by _Shawn
Hey hey guys, are we a programmers or what? :lol:
You can easily create app that will set sizes whenever My Computer is opened, for example you can use system wide hooks and watch for window creation messages, check title and if it's My Computer set appropriate size 8)
Not a big deal, and at the end of the day, it all comes to the whether this thing annoy you that much to make you bother creating this simple app.
Posted on 2004-09-10 17:36:00 by Mikky
I agree. Except my personal opinion is that Windows shouldn't be broken for something so fundamental, anyway and I really not in the mood to correct their problems. I'll just be annoyed. I was hoping someone knew of a registry key or some other stupid thing that I'm overlooking that would fix it. Wonder if the problem is fixed in win2k3

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-09-10 20:16:24 by _Shawn