I'm trying to figure out a way to isolate & monitor individual pins for either the serial or parallel ports of boards sporting x86 processors. Once I figure this out, I can write reactive routines to suit my needs. I know I can isolate & monitor pins of the ports in Linux by hacking the kernel using C/C++, and I already have diagrams of the pin-outs for the parallel port, but I'd MUCH rather talk directly to the processor. Can anyone give me some idea of where to begin? I'm working on using a computer as the CPU for an intrusion-detection system I built in my spare time, and will use one of these ports to interface the system to the computer. I'm thinking a simple interrupt request won't do it this time! Thanks in advance.
Posted on 2004-09-10 02:10:50 by Lioth
I used WinIO's dll to write xp-compatible parallel port interface code for a hardware project. I'll be happy to assist with technical aspects.

Regarding "talking directly to the processor:
If you want to talk "directly to the processor", you should be aware that you can "pull the interrupt" on such io ports (they always have atleast one interrupt line) but then you need to write your own devicedriver to catch and process the interrupt.
Posted on 2004-09-11 02:51:40 by Homer
http://www.masmforum.com/website/tutorials/kmdtute/index.html
Posted on 2004-09-12 13:47:55 by mrgone