I finally decided to tackle the COFF format and object files.

To understand the format I would like to create one in hex and try to link it with MS-link.

If you suggest hex editor, can you recomend a hex editor that will work properly in a unicode enviroment.

Are there any APIs to deal with this kind of stuff?

Thanks.
Posted on 2004-09-11 06:51:43 by ThoughtCriminal
Posted on 2004-09-11 11:00:43 by SpooK
Okay I've downloaded it and added some of the COFF structures.

I been trying to find where in the help files it tells how to set the display of the structure veiwer window to display values in hex and not decimal.

I'll be quite surprised if they overlooked this, yet it seems they have :(
Posted on 2004-09-12 08:08:13 by ThoughtCriminal
ThoughtCriminal,

I had the same problem, funny how you take for granted that a Hex Editor should display hex values :) I even think I posted a thread about this over here. There is no way to do that in HexWorkshop as far as I played with it.

When I had the couple of excessive weeks dealing with hexeditors I used following Hexeditors:

HexWorkshop
WinHex
XVI32 - freeware
010 Editor
Mirkes Tiny Hexer

Time to choose the one which fits you best.

PS: If I remember well, 010 had a similar structure viewer as HexWorkshop.
Posted on 2004-09-12 14:48:29 by JimmyClif
Thanks for the suggestions. HexWorkshop's structure viewer is easy to use and add your own, but not displaying in hex if you want, is not good. A lot of the includes use hex values in the equates:

#define IMAGE_FILE_MACHINE_I386 0x014c // Intel.

Should be the first dword of the COFF structure.

00000000 WORD Machine 332 <-HexWorkshop's display

Sure makes verifying harder.

I use Korean w2k. It works well with unicode. Some hex editors I tried were written for English only systems. The hex and text display doesn't look right.

I'll check some of them out.
Posted on 2004-09-12 16:12:46 by ThoughtCriminal