In one of the threads here, somebody had asked me for the "IRC by telnet" tutorial I was referring to. I couldn't even find it myself, so I'll make my own tutorial.

Fire up telnet and connect to irc.afternet.org, port 6667 and type in the following, pressing enter after each line. Do not type in "You:" or "Server:" however. The most important thing are the PINGs. Whenever you get a PING, ASAP you type in a PONG followed by the same parameter supplied with the PING. This must be done so you can stay on the network. These PINGs can come in at any time while your sitting on the IRC network or logging on.

You: USER joe 0 * :Hi
You: NICK joe
Server: PING :694918045
You: PONG :694918045

You: JOIN #joe
You: PRIVMSG #joe :hi ho

And there you go, from then on whenever you wanna chat, just type in PRIVMSG, the name of the chatroom yer in (or the individual having a private convo with you) and then the message, which must always be prefixed by a ":". If ya wanna leave the chatroom, just type the following.

You: PART #joe
You: QUIT

That's all there is to it.
Posted on 2004-09-13 12:41:06 by Al_Leitch
hey how do I make a sticky out of this?
Posted on 2004-09-13 12:42:25 by Al_Leitch
wouldnt bother making a sticky, its not exactly rocket science, nor is it strictly speaking related to programming.. as a simple study of the rfc would tell you whats required, and it isnt exactly hard to code a bot in asm for irc
Posted on 2004-09-13 13:08:23 by evlncrn8
Thanx for the input. As far as the tutorial goes, I just wanted to lay it out on the table. When I tried to read the RFC, it was overwhelming. But yeah, it doesn't justify a sticky.

wouldnt bother making a sticky, its not exactly rocket science, nor is it strictly speaking related to programming.. as a simple study of the rfc would tell you whats required, and it isnt exactly hard to code a bot in asm for irc
Posted on 2004-09-13 13:20:43 by Al_Leitch
Try PM a mod or Hiro.
Posted on 2004-09-14 10:26:09 by roticv