hi i'm new in COM and i'm lookin for a tutorial for beginners (aside from the one by mr.murphy) does anybody here knew where i can find one?
Posted on 2001-11-18 18:39:46 by jake@$$
Ernie is the only one with true tutors about using COM in ASM I think :)
Posted on 2001-11-18 20:49:15 by Hiroshimator
The worst thing about learning COM is the terminology. OLE, ActiveX, COM, DCOM, COM+ all pertty much describe the same technology. And I agree, my tuts are not for beginners. I assume you know about COM from some other language (like in C++ using the Active Template Lib ATL).

I mostly recomend "Inside COM" as a starting place to learn it. I actually don't remember how I learned it, all I can say is I spent most of that time with that book. "Inside OLE" is not as good a choice to start with, but it should be free on the web.

COM is basically just a communications method for different blobs of code to interact, no matter what language they are written in.
Posted on 2001-11-19 22:56:26 by Ernie
Best tut, is doing your own dirty research...

I didnt really *truely* know what COM what when i got into it.. but i decided to dive in and tackle something. I decided that MS AGENT technology would be a good start, I wanted to program my CPU to talk to me. All the info on *how* to use the com's were on the net, and an SDK download package... but not really any info on how to use the com's programmatically..

So, i started at square 1.. Ernies "short-cut" COM example... studied it for about 2 weeks (slow learning curve), then things began to tick between the terminology and what im "seing" in code. Not long after i got a fairly close version of MS AGENT working, but with more bug's that Ernie and Co had managed to set straight for me. (VARIENTS ... // shudder // )

The latter also involved me TOTALLY tearing thu Ernie's COM include files to see how it is structured. (Which is what first inspired me to begin the OOP project l8r on.. once i had my talking agent working that is :) )

Now i feel quite comfortable with how COMs are used and interfaced with, but to be honest i dont know how to "make" one at the moment.. (I havent read *all* Ernies tuts yet, (( he writes like an Engineer :) hehehe )

So long story short is Hack Hack Hack Hack, and Hack at it, and you will get thu to the other side. Or dont be as cheap as me and buy a good book on COM (Ernie has sited on repeatedly on this forum..)

Gooood Luck..

NaN
Posted on 2001-11-20 19:42:54 by NaN
hi i'm currently studyin mr. ernie's tutes (i'm jake@$$ but regstrd)
but i played around with the "makelink.asm" and found out some codes which if deleted from the source and would still run. one would be the macros and some of the variables. or maybe i just overlooked the code and didn't think of future complications. but the thing is that it still produces the link even w/out those codes. just saying but if you're interested for future revisions. but hey i'm just a beginner so don't think of it seriously just playin around...
Posted on 2001-11-20 21:38:16 by lukas
hi i'm currently studyin mr. ernie's tutes (i'm jake@$$ but regstrd)
but i played around with the "makelink.asm" and found out some codes which if deleted from the source and would still run. one would be the macros and some of the variables. or maybe i just overlooked the code and didn't think of future complications. but the thing is that it still produces the link even w/out those codes. just saying but if you're interested for future revisions. but hey i'm just a beginner so don't think of it seriously just playin around...
Posted on 2001-11-20 21:56:15 by lukas
Hey, I AM an engineer.

So I'm allowed to talk like one!
Posted on 2001-11-23 00:20:11 by Ernie