I just fixed a bug in NewWiz (new version attached at the bottom of this post), and was going to upload it to the new WinAsm board when I found out the hosting account was disabled! :shock:

Check it out for yourselves:
http://code4u.net/winasm
http://code4u.net/waforum

I got redirected to this error page:
http://milici.net/suspended.page/

On a side note, I also found a problem in WinAsm, it seems to parse versioninfo resources incorrectly (try to edit NewWiz.rc, you'll see all the version info is missing in the GUI but still in the file, if you save a new one the program won't link due to a duplicated resource).

New attachment: fixed incorrect versioninfo problem (thanks Antonis!).
Posted on 2004-09-16 09:08:07 by QvasiModo
Hi,

1.I can't see the attachment
2.Site problems are under investigation. Hope it will be back soon
3.There is no problem with Version Info parsing. From an older version of your NewWiz Add-In, I 've found out that you haven't specified FileVersion. This is a required string. Here is a full list of strings in version info:

Comments Additional information that should be displayed for diagnostic purposes.

CompanyName Company that produced the file?for example, "Microsoft Corporation" or "Standard Microsystems Corporation, Inc." This string is required.

FileDescription File description to be presented to users. This string may be displayed in a list box when the user is choosing files to install?for example, "Keyboard Driver for AT-Style Keyboards". This string is required.

FileVersion Version number of the file?for example, "3.10" or "5.00.RC2". This string is required.

InternalName Internal name of the file, if one exists?for example, a module name if the file is a dynamic-link library. If the file has no internal name, this string should be the original filename, without extension. This string is required.

LegalCopyright Copyright notices that apply to the file. This should include the full text of all notices, legal symbols, copyright dates, and so on?for example, "Copyright? Microsoft Corporation 1990?1999". This string is optional.

LegalTrademarks Trademarks and registered trademarks that apply to the file. This should include the full text of all notices, legal symbols, trademark numbers, and so on. This string is optional.

OriginalFilename Original name of the file, not including a path. This information enables an application to determine whether a file has been renamed by a user. The format of the name depends on the file system for which the file was created. This string is required.

PrivateBuild Information about a private version of the file?for example, "Built by TESTER1 on \TESTBED". This string should be present only if VS_FF_PRIVATEBUILD is specified in the fileflags parameter of the root block.

ProductName Name of the product with which the file is distributed. This string is required.

ProductVersion Version of the product with which the file is distributed?for example, "3.10" or "5.00.RC2". This string is required.

SpecialBuild Text that indicates how this version of the file differs from the standard version?for example, "Private build for TESTER1 solving mouse problems on M250 and M250E computers". This string should be present only if VS_FF_SPECIALBUILD is specified in the fileflags parameter of the root block.

Cheers,

Antonis
Posted on 2004-09-16 09:52:35 by akyprian
Hi Antonis :)

1. There's a good explanation for that: I'm stupid and forgot the attachment! :-D
:stupid:

2. Hope so! :(

3. I didn't know all that. Well, the addin was compiling, that fooled me... :oops:
Posted on 2004-09-16 10:41:48 by QvasiModo
I just removed the versioninfo resource, and made it again from the GUI, specifying all the needed strings. WinAsm is generating it correctly, but fails to parse it later. I'm using WinXP here.
Posted on 2004-09-16 10:49:43 by QvasiModo
Please explain this more "WinAsm is generating it correctly, but fails to parse it later" . It's been working nicely for months ...

Regards,

Antonis
Posted on 2004-09-16 12:07:34 by akyprian
Take a script with no version info. Create a new one. Close the dialog. Edit the existing version info. All the info is gone! If you write back all the info, a second version info resource is added to the script (obviously won't compile). :(
Posted on 2004-09-16 12:26:17 by QvasiModo
:?

I 've created a new rc file. Visual mode on. Added version info. Closed version info dialog. Nothing has gone! How do you verify that all info is gone (how do you deduce this)? How shall I write back all the info (Visual mode On or OFF?). You are saying that second verion info is added to the file. If a second info is added and you can't compile this means that the first info had not gone before!!! It would be nice if you could post a sample small rc file here, tell me WHAT info to edit and what I should see as a bug. (probably some screenshots would help)

Thanks for your time,

Antonis
Posted on 2004-09-16 15:27:11 by akyprian
hi to all,
i think i got the meaning:
qvasimodo pushes on the toolbar button of the explorer window "add version info", thinking that when it is present it should edit the old one while instead adds another.
i think maybe this behaviour should be changed, as anyway you can not have two versioninfo on the same project, so if the versioninfo is present it should edit it (like it is done by double-click on the versioninfo in the "others" tree).

blues
Posted on 2004-09-17 02:45:50 by blues4u
Hi blues4u,

qvasimodo pushes on the toolbar button of the explorer window "add version info", thinking that when it is present it should edit the old one while instead adds another.

You must be absolutely right! Qvasimodo, you are adding a NEW version info, not editing the existing one.

i think this behaviour should be changed, as anyway you can not have two versioninfo on the same project, so if the versioninfo is present it should edit it

IMHO current behaviour is OK; In any RC file, You can actually have as many version info you want with no problem (although only one is used-that with ID=1). Dublicate ID's are not allowed.

Thanks blues4u for pointing to the right direction!

Antonis
Posted on 2004-09-17 03:07:51 by akyprian
IMHO current behaviour is OK; In any RC file, You can actually have as many version info you want with no problem (although only one is used-that with ID=1). Dublicate ID's are not allowed.

hmmm... i understand, but... which is the benefit in having more than one versioninfo defined?

blues
Posted on 2004-09-17 03:45:28 by blues4u
Since it is allowed I didn't want to add any restrictions. Maybe an easy way to switch between various VERSIONINFO's ? e.g. release/beta/shareware etc

Regards,

Antonis
Posted on 2004-09-17 04:25:17 by akyprian
Since it is allowed I didn't want to add any restrictions.

yes i understand this point and i agree now.
so i suggest that when a new versioninfo is added to give automatically in the dialog box new values for the name and id like: IDV_VERSION2 and 2 then IDV_VERSION3 and 3, and so on... (or something similar)
in this way we avoid giving it manually because if we forget to do so we would have two versioninfo with same id which is not allowed.

additionally, when pressing ok, winasm studio should warn that another version info with same id is present, so giving the user the chance to change it.

with these two things i think nobody would have any problem anymore.

blues
Posted on 2004-09-17 05:09:30 by blues4u

You are absolutely right, since there should be only one versioninfo resource in the project I though that hitting that button would edit the existing one... :oops:

I have a possible way to improve this: when you hit the button the last versioninfo resource added will be edited (GUI initialized to it's data). Clicking the "save" button will modify the existing resource, but if you change the ID, a new one is saved instead.

Does it sound right, or would it be confusing? Your suggestion sounds more intuitive perhaps, I'm just giving more ideas here :)
Posted on 2004-09-17 15:17:30 by QvasiModo