i have a 700mhz computer here with a tyan thunder 100 motheboard in it and for some reason it wont boot it turns on then a few seconds later the led on the motherboard just blinks from green to orange. other than that it does nothing would anyone happen to know what could be wrong with it?
Posted on 2004-09-16 17:38:01 by HeXeN
First of all double check that all expansion cards (AGP, PCI or ISA) are plugged in fully and make sure all memory modules are plugged in fully as well. I had the same problem andd it turned out that my video card was loosely inserted in the slot.
Posted on 2004-09-16 20:07:18 by x86asm
ok i tried that and now instead it does the same exact thing but the led doesnt blink now it just stays orange
Posted on 2004-09-16 20:29:54 by HeXeN
Do you get any kind of POST bleeps?
If there is a problem with the motherboard, and it fails to POST, it should (unless things are really buggered) bleep several times. The number, and length of the bleeps should indicate the error (you may need to check the Tyan website for the meaning).

If you don't get any POST warnings the error is likely to be:
#1 Monitor, graphics card, or cable between them.
#2 PSU issue (starting to fail, getting dusty), not enough power.
#3 The failure is terminal!

Check the monitor, card & cable on another machine.

Unplug everything the machine doesn't need (HDD, network cards etc.) it may be a PSU issue, so by removing power to the HDD and CD/DVD may bring it back to a level where it can boot.

If neither of those help, then you may need a new machine.

Mirno
Posted on 2004-09-17 04:43:38 by Mirno
i unplugged the hd and the cd-rom and it booted. would this mean its a power supply problem? when i just plugged in the hd it didnt boot it also didnt boot with just the cd-rom plugged in.
Posted on 2004-09-17 07:39:56 by HeXeN
Do things like check the IDE cable as the older IDE drives would prevent a machine from booting if they were put in the wrong way around. If its not a bad cable or not something simple like the plug is damaged or not plugged in properly, you may be in trouble with the IDE controller on the board.

Its worth looking at the pins on the IDE disk as well to make sure none of them are bent or damaged.

Good Luck.

hutch at movsd dot com
Posted on 2004-09-18 02:15:19 by hutch--
thanks hutch ill look at it and see if i recognize anything like that. thanks for your help.
Posted on 2004-09-18 02:22:33 by HeXeN
it might be worth getting a junk shop computer to try the power supply or try the hard drive

junk shop computers are so cheap now
it may be worth keeping one around for spair parts
Posted on 2004-09-22 22:06:13 by rob.rice
i figured it out yesterday. the problem was that it was trying to boot from the floppy drive but theres only one problem theres no floppy drive in it.
Posted on 2004-09-22 22:41:32 by HeXeN