Not yet recruiting, just researching.

Anyone have any good links, references, or tutorials on building them?
I have several I've found over the years, but I'm sure I've missed some.

I could certainly pick through various open-source projects, and I intend to once my knowledge of this particular field gets to the point reading the source will do me some good.

For now though I need some references that will get me to the point I can understand the what and why behind the source.
Posted on 2004-09-20 04:01:06 by ChupaThingy
Have a look at Assembler Developer's Kit:

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AsmTools/RollYourOwn/index.html
Posted on 2004-09-20 04:43:57 by Vortex
"The dragon book" is said to be one of the very good references when studying compiler theory, but it is pretty expensive.

If you want to study open-source projects, you could look at LCC (not lcc-win32 since it doesn't have source, but the original LCC) and CC386 by LadSOFT for examples of C compilers - both are substantially smaller then GCC.

You might also want to have a look at the LUA language, it has a compiler and a VM for execution.
Posted on 2004-09-20 09:20:51 by f0dder
Have a look at Assembler Developer's Kit:

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AsmTools/RollYourOwn/index.html

Already d/l'd it (just recently though - I'm just barely starting to learn HLA so I've held off looking into it too much)

"The dragon book" is said to be one of the very good references when studying compiler theory, but it is pretty expensive.

If you want to study open-source projects, you could look at LCC (not lcc-win32 since it doesn't have source, but the original LCC) and CC386 by LadSOFT for examples of C compilers - both are substantially smaller then GCC.

You might also want to have a look at the LUA language, it has a compiler and a VM for execution.

The dragon book is pretty high up on my wish list, as soon as we go back on overtime I was planning on getting a copy (and the 'green dragon book' just for the sake of collecting).

I know nothing of LCC and CC386 so I'll be getting those tonight for later study. LUA I've already got but havn't dug into yet.

Thank you both for the thank you both for the suggestions.
Posted on 2004-09-20 21:33:43 by ChupaThingy