Hi; i just bought a microphone for my computer but it doesn't work. The problem is that i cant find MIC ( the name of the hole ) to plug in the mini-plug in my computer. MIC is a "small hole", but i can't locate it. My assumption: It should be in the sound card, but because my sound card is on board, i don't have that "MIC".
What should i do now?

Thank you in advance...
Posted on 2004-09-25 03:55:36 by aston
Afternoon, aston.

You mean the Sound/Audio Chip is on the mainboard?

The holes should be on the mainboard then.

They're usually close to the side of the case and nearby the Expansion Slots.

If there's no word "MIC" for a hole, you can usually tell it's for the mic due to a little picture of a mic instead ;p.

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2004-09-25 05:42:41 by Scronty
When i say that the sound card is on board, i mean that it comes with the mainboard ( = motherboard ). It's not an extra card, it's in the motherboard.

Does it make sense to have the holes on the mainboard? Then i should have the box of the PC open to have the microphone connected to it! ...
Posted on 2004-09-25 10:14:27 by aston
Afternoon, aston.

When i say that the sound card is on board, i mean that it comes with the mainboard ( = motherboard ). It's not an extra card, it's in the motherboard.

Mainboard == Motherboard. Motherboard is the old terminology from the 70s/80s when the computers had Mother and Daughter boards. Nowadays all the functionality is on the one main board.

Does it make sense to have the holes on the mainboard? Then i should have the box of the PC open to have the microphone connected to it! ...

lol. Where else do you plug in your Keyboard and Mouse? Have you got a PC case which *only* exposes holes for the Keyboard and Mouse, and the Expansion Slots, and *nothing* else?
How's your Printer Connector exposed? A rectangular hole?

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2004-09-25 17:39:14 by Scronty
lol. Where else do you plug in your Keyboard and Mouse? Have you got a PC case which *only* exposes holes for the Keyboard and Mouse, and the Expansion Slots, and *nothing* else?
How's your Printer Connector exposed? A rectangular hole?

Lol no, forget it i missunderstood you.

Well, my mainboard has 3 little holes ( other than the USB and serial ports ). The one little hole is for my Audio. And so there are 2 free holes. It doesn't work in neither of them. Is that what you said?

P.S The microphone is OK, it was tested
Posted on 2004-09-26 01:57:30 by aston