I want to buy a desktop PC, any suggestions.
it does not need to be the fastest cpu, but a good one.
looking at the HP website

- processors
Intel? Pentium? 4 processors with HT Technology up to 560? (3.6 GHz)
AMD Athlon64? processors up to 3700+ (2.4GHz)
Intel? Pentium? 4 processors up to 2.8GHz
AMD Sempron and Athlon XP processors up to 3200+ (2.2GHz)
Intel? Celeron D processors up t

and the graphic

- Graphics
Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 and PCI Express x16 slot supporting new generation graphics cards
Integrated SIS Mirage2 Graphics and 8x AGP graphics card slot
Integrated Intel Extreme graphics
Integrated graphics and 8X AGP graphics card slot
Integrated Intel Extreme graphics

Does the AMD Athlon64 needs a 64 bit operation system?
Is it good to have an integrated graphic?
Thank you
Posted on 2004-09-27 11:16:03 by Rammstein
If you want to play games don't go for Integrated Graphic Systems as they use physical memory for their functioning. But if the price for the system is right you can still buy a decent Graphic card, disable the onboard graphic and save money.
Posted on 2004-09-27 11:32:54 by JimmyClif
I will play some games but it is not specifically for games.
eMachines brand seems to have a lower price.
Posted on 2004-09-27 11:45:36 by Rammstein
I would look at prices of local computer shops you have around, and compare. Many times the best deal is offered there.

Does the AMD Athlon64 needs a 64 bit operation system?

No, it is backwards compatible with regular 32-bit environment
Posted on 2004-09-27 19:56:57 by comrade
make your own. whats your price range?
Posted on 2004-09-27 21:42:09 by smurf
making your own would be slightly less expensive than buying from a well-priced computer shop, but you don't get a warranty
most stores offer at least some kind of warranty (at no-charge), which is at least one year
if you buy all parts manually and assemble it yourself - no such thing
Posted on 2004-09-27 22:39:40 by comrade
usually separate items come with warranty too..
Posted on 2004-09-27 22:47:28 by arafel
yes, but you have to mail them and deal with them separately if you assemble it yourself
if a shop assembles it, they usually take care of the shipping and replacement
Posted on 2004-09-28 10:09:34 by comrade
not true regarding warranty issues. most places you purchase from have a replacement policy at least the good ones. the chances of having problems with new retail items are slim. i have built several computers without any problems and saved hundreds if not thousands. what you need to do is keep an eye out for special priced items like from fatwallet.com etc.
Posted on 2004-09-28 20:11:25 by smurf
build your own is the best option because you can upgrade progressively as your desires change, and integrated systems are usually designed close to their maximum expandiblity. extended warranty also availible at some places like http://newegg.com - very quick processing of orders there, btw.
Posted on 2004-09-29 09:32:35 by bitRAKE
i have 'built' my last 3 or 4 computers, but on the last one the motherboard
failed and it cost me $150 to return it back (10% restocking fee+shipping) :(
so my next system will be prebuilt.
Posted on 2004-09-29 18:28:50 by jack
i have 'built' my last 3 or 4 computers, but on the last one the motherboard
failed and it cost me $150 to return it back (10% restocking fee+shipping) :(
so my next system will be prebuilt.

You have purchased it on-line, right? So it's obvious you'll need to pay some fee for a product exchange. However that usually not the case if you buy in regular store. I once bought a non working mem stick so i went to the store and got a new one right away without any fees.

Anyway i think too that it's much better to build the system by your own. That way you will got exactly what you need and spend less. Prebuilt systems cost more because of assembly cost and usually parts that you don't need but still pay for (Like motherboard with buildin sound+video. But there is also sound and video card in that system. Obviously you can get much better mb for the same price if you don't need those prebuilt features).
Posted on 2004-09-29 19:22:14 by arafel
on the last one the motherboard
failed and it cost me $150 to return it back (10% restocking fee+shipping)"

that doesnt make any sense. most good motherboards cost $150 anyways. you were ripped off. that why you buy from reputable companies such as newegg. attached are some really good hardware forums.
Posted on 2004-09-30 01:38:04 by smurf