Hi,

Thought I'd ask here before I do it, because I don't want to waste my time :D

Would there be sufficient interest in DX8/DX9 D3D tutorials in asm? I've already written a lot of C/C++ tuts for DX8/DX9, so converting them to asm probably wouldn't be too difficult (the tutorial text takes longer than the code normally).

Let me know if you're interested. If there's a response, I'll look at doing it. If not, I'll save my time.

-Def
[ 32Bits.co.uk - Coding for real people! ]
Posted on 2004-09-28 06:24:02 by defbase
I can't vote in this poll.
I'm interested in DX, and I understand it to a fair degree, I'm interested in asm tutorials, but I could not be bothered writing them :)
(I don't like m$, never did, so long DX and thanks for the fish)
Watch my dumpspace (http://homer.ultrano.com) for my OpenGL/MASM tutorials, I'm currently steeping myself in everything ooglish, it was always my intent :)
Posted on 2004-09-29 03:34:33 by Homer
Hrm, 10 people. I set the poll to run for 10 days or so, so I'll see what the results are at the end. But for 10 people it's probably not worth it.
Posted on 2004-10-01 13:07:26 by defbase
8 ppl wants it It's about 60% of all who voted so i think it should be enought .
Posted on 2004-10-01 14:15:45 by AceEmbler
Well, 11 positives now... Point is, it's not really worth me writing it for 11 people :) (As a comparison, I get about 4,000+ unique views per month on the C versions of the tutorials, so it's not worth it). I'll check back in a few days.
Posted on 2004-10-02 12:21:14 by defbase
Afternoon, defbase.

There's only been about 600 unique IPs which downloaded files from my site over the past three years.

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2004-10-10 20:27:29 by Scronty
Well, 11 positives now... Point is, it's not really worth me writing it for 11 people :) (As a comparison, I get about 4,000+ unique views per month on the C versions of the tutorials, so it's not worth it). I'll check back in a few days.

Would you have had that same point of view if when you were learning you knew the tutorial you were reading would only be read by 10 other people? Would you have stopped reading it when you found that out?

I don't mean to sound attacking, in fact, I'm very grateful for your current tutorials. Without you (not to mention the dozen or so others who selflessly and often without adequately expressed thanks write and maintain the tutorials many of us have learned from) I'm certain that several of your peers (I'd like to say my peers, but I'm not far enough advanced yet) wouldn't have the knowledge to write tutorials or examples in other fields you may one day find useful.

Not to sound condescending, one sentance stuck out when I first visited your page and caused me to redouble my efforts and study even though my time is at an extreme premium right now:
The aim for this site is to give complete, useful tutorials at a level anyone can understand - tutorials I wish I had when I was learning.

It's that exact sentiment that I, and every reader of a tutorial has. Even if there's only one person reading it. From that one person's point of view he's being individually instructed by someone who's come before and made the mistakes already. Someone who can help point to solutions for those errors so he can proceed and teach another one day.

Sadly, teachers are never valued after their knowledge is passed on. Without those willing to teach though, where would any of us be?
Posted on 2004-10-16 06:32:31 by ChupaThingy
I just didn't get here in time to vote I guess...But I would most definitely like to see DX tutorials in ASM as I have no knowledge of DX in any language or aspect. I hope you'll reconsider :)
Posted on 2004-10-19 19:46:16 by DaRetard
Given the direction Microsoft is taking Windows, DirectX becomes increasingly important as the whole visual experience of Windows will sit on top of DirectX.
Posted on 2004-10-19 20:56:33 by bitRAKE
hmmm i don't seem to be able to vote or don't know how :oops:

however i have experience with directX have already made some applications with it but that was in other languages so i think some are handy for those who want to switch language.
Posted on 2004-12-20 17:07:14 by Bolle
Hi guys, mdevries actually reminded me of this thread after he posted over on mine... Just wanted to pop back and say thanks for replying, your comments have been noted.

ChupaThingy, I absolutely understand where you're coming from. But maybe I need to explain something. As you've said, your time is at a premium - that's something that is very true for me. I love DX coding, I love writing tutorials and I love helping people. I even do it professionally. But as you've seen, I haven't published a new tutorial in over 6 months. I am so busy right now I just don't have the time. That goes for the rest of the 32Bits guys, Darkblade et al.

My comments were based on a ratio system, unfair though it may be. If I only have 5 hours to update the site and can write one tutorial in those 5 hours, I would rather write it in C which will benefit (for example) 1,000 people than write it in asm which will benefit 10 people. It's not that I see asm coders as second class citizens, it's that I need to keep my site alive, which (unfortunately) means I can only do that by helping the majority. There is IMO a serious lack of useful DX tutorials in any language, and the Microsoft examples/site don't do anything to help that. I at least hope the C tuts helped you with the principles in asm.

So, to summarize this rambling, in an ideal world I would have enough time to write both asm and C tuts.

Anyone from here is more than welcome to come over to our forums and get some help (or, at a pinch, I'll try and come back here more often). Whilst I'm not an expert asm coder, I can at least provide working examples in some language, or just help on concepts etc.

Happy coding, all.
Posted on 2005-01-23 16:38:58 by defbase
Don't worry, defbase, I think I'll start making some DDraw and DSound tutes, using my OOP framework called "ATC".
Writing tutorials helps me understand better (subconsciously too) the matter I'm writing about. And this is just one of the plusses :-D .

There was some silly problem on my PC not allowing me to run DDraw.. fixed it

I'm starting development of a DDraw framework now, it'll take a while since I want to make it good. Actually, reorganize some code I already have, and make some handy tools. It may take more time too because of my job, but fortunately on queue there is a pseudo-emulator for handhelds to be made, that will need DDraw and DSound a lot ^_^ :alright:
Posted on 2005-01-24 11:22:00 by Ultrano