Hi i am using Windows XP, and i want to disable the access of the Guest to C:\ and certain other forlders. How can i do that?

thanks
Posted on 2004-09-28 09:08:54 by aston
On XP Pro, get the properties for the Guest account and check the Disable User box.

Regards, P1 8)
Posted on 2004-09-28 13:19:34 by Pone
No you didn't understand. I don;t want to disable the account, i just want to disable the access of the user to certain folders and programs, how can i do that?
Posted on 2004-09-29 10:54:21 by aston
ADD the guest user to the userlist for the folders, then set access to DENY for the actions you want to disallow... I guess this should work?
Posted on 2004-09-29 10:59:28 by f0dder
On default WinXP pro installation:

You need to use ACL (Access Control Lists) so the Simple File Sharing should be disabled. To do this:

In a toolbar of a folder go to -"Tools" > "Folder Options.."
Switch to "View" tab and un-check "Use Simple File Sharing(Recommended)".

Than right click on folder an go to "Sharing and Security". There you can setup the sharing permissions.
Posted on 2004-09-29 12:58:37 by arafel
Ok thanks! I did what arafel said and now it's ok!

But there is one problem. The user can't access the folder, but they can access the subfolders! And when you want to disable any access at C:\ the subfolders are too many! So how can i do that? I know it sounds paranoic, but i want something along those lines. I don't want guests to see what i have installed on my computer.

Any help?

thanks
Posted on 2004-09-30 11:29:11 by aston
When you modify the ACLs, you can apply the permission to "just this folder" or "subfolders as well". Have a look at those dialogs. If you don't want the guest user to access anything, why don't you just disable it? It's bad to have guest enabled anyway.
Posted on 2004-09-30 11:39:52 by f0dder
When you modify the ACLs, you can apply the permission to "just this folder" or "subfolders as well". Have a look at those dialogs. If you don't want the guest user to access anything, why don't you just disable it? It's bad to have guest enabled anyway.

Because a guest might want to get into my computer.

But where is that "subfolders as well" option and what's that ACl? Sorry but i can't find it
Posted on 2004-09-30 12:02:14 by aston
file properties, security tab, ADD button (add guest, click ok), select "guest" in list, hit "advanced", hit "edit" - tada. Takes a few clicks, but is a lot more powerful than, say, crappy *u*x user:group permissions. You can use the commandline tool "cacls" too - but be careful, if you don't know what you're doing you can screw things up majorly ;)
Posted on 2004-09-30 12:22:00 by f0dder
OK thank you now it's ( was, actually ) ok :)
Posted on 2004-10-02 11:00:50 by aston