is there such a program that would allow you to load and save an application kinda like how saved games work. you save the game then you can restore the game to its previous state using the saved game files?
if so would anyone know where i could find it?
Posted on 2004-10-02 01:55:13 by HeXeN
Uf you are talking about source code, then yes, there is CVS or search for control systems CVS. If you are talking about an app, then you should use ini files or a database or a place where you can store the information necesary that you can reload those propierties for the app.

Now I think Im understanding... dont know if exist such application, pheraphs some like invernation, I guess if you save all the memory space of the application you can save the state of the programm, but when you restore it, how you would say that all the handles that where saved are valid in than moment (graphics, memory, files, ...)?

You not only need to save the state of the application (the memory used), but also the state of the OS for that application... that is all the internall representation of the OS that has gived to represent that application to the OS.
Posted on 2004-10-02 09:43:47 by rea
imho it is nearly impossible to do so, because of handles and such. saving the memory space would be not too hard though.
Posted on 2004-10-02 11:03:35 by lifewire
thanks for the replies. here's my idea. you could save only the information not needed by the os. i think i saw something similar to what im talking about once when i was younger i think i used it on a game. i got the idea from magic trainer creator created by corsica productions which can be found on www.gamehacking.com anyway my idea. would be to save the state of the things like the state of textboxes,listboxes,text in memory etc. and when you load the program it will provide the handles you need. then you just replace all the information which can be changed with the previous information that was in memory. i'm sorry if my idea seems a little out there but i think this would be a neat program. because you would be able to save and load your work,games,etc. without having to need a save and load feature in an application and it would be universal you could use it the same way with every single app that you have and you would still be able to retrieve the current state of an app that you had before. anyway just an idea.
Posted on 2004-10-02 13:13:05 by HeXeN
I was remembering some, is called Orthogonal Persistence, pheraphs also that can help.
Posted on 2004-10-02 18:16:53 by rea
i have done a google search on Orthogonal Persistence and we'll i can't really find any information on it that im able to understand.
Posted on 2004-10-02 18:35:44 by HeXeN
Yeah, Orthogonal Persistence is irreplaceable value in systems that need to be fault tolerant. I saw a lot of hobby os projects that tried to implement this, but with little success. Some old project Grasshopper OS - http://os.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/GH/ was the first(?) one to actually implement OP successfully. Also imho OP should be implemented on os-level and not in user land.
Posted on 2004-10-02 18:43:01 by arafel
Hexen: this explains in general what is orthogonal persistence -
http://cliki.tunes.org/Orthogonal%20Persistence
Posted on 2004-10-02 18:45:11 by arafel