Greetings,

I'm trying to find some good sources of information where I can piece the puzzle together regarding a new machine I want for my development/super-minimum-gaming (rollercoaster tycoon 3, c&c, sim city).

A while back (two months ago) I looked into an AMD 64-bit (GHz?) with 1GB ram and a high-end nVidia card and was looking at $2,800. Ouch.

So now I'm looking into a dual Xeon 3.06 GHz 1 GB ram and a mid-range nVidia (I prefer nVidia over ATI for unknown reasons -- perhaps because they caused me much grieve aobut 6 years ago)...

Ultimately, I want dual CPUs, the memory, Firewire (mostly seems to be available through add-on cards), PCI-Express, USB2... all the norms. Nothing special, as these specs seem to be somewhat standard (for dual Xeon MOBOs). SATA for hard drives... 800 MHz FSB.

What I am trying to determine and having a hard time deciphering all the information available is:

What motherboards are "good", what kinds of cooling system should I use, if I use fans, what cases are good (seems to be much information discussing varyious options).

More or less, I'm looking for a place to puts all this info together and hopefully, shows some pre-built systems that I can "examine"... I'll ultimately be building this myself and would prefer not to purchase a pre-packaged solution online or wherever.

My price range is ~$2,000 USD

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-10-14 10:59:16 by _Shawn
Why do you want a double CPU so badly?

Last week I bought an AMD 64 3200+ / 512 / ATI 9600 XT / 250 GIG for only 899 euro. it also had tons of junk i don't use at all, like a wireless card, wireless keyboard + mouse, memorycard reader, remote control, etc.
Posted on 2004-10-14 11:40:11 by lifewire
I want to experience with SMP programming and Grids...

However, I must not have done my homework on the 64-bit system because you're price sounds excellent (I'm not sure how the EURO converts to the dollar but I'm assuming they 1 euro = ~$1.20...???)

But I'd rather have the 64-bit... I'll look into it further.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-10-14 11:47:06 by _Shawn
yeah, the exchange rate is about 1.2 dollar = 1 euro these days. about the price, i have to say that i bought it in a supermarket, it was a special action, so i guess you can't compare it with regular pc stores very well...
Posted on 2004-10-14 14:18:05 by lifewire
I'd wait a bit for pci-e (should be a few months for it to show up in general boards I think) and get a dual-core (that's equivalent to old SMP)

you could get a dual dual-core of course :twisted:

as for info, come to arstechnica :)

http://www.arstechnica.com/
Posted on 2004-10-14 18:17:12 by Hiroshimator
I finally got my PC (I still have to put it together)...

Athlon 64-bit 3500+,
Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 Motherboard ($269, ouch) (support Athlon FX)
1 GB Corsair DDR2 memory
80GB SATA Harddisk (because my 300+GB is on the server, I don't need the local space)
XConnect Ultra 500W power supply (how can I explain this one... uses only the cables that you need rather than a bundle of unnecessary cables... slick)
Xoxide acryllic case.
Etc...

I'll let you know how it turns out when I am done putting it together...

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-10-16 20:10:45 by _Shawn