Hi all,

I'd like to know if movaps can be used to write to memory an xmm register that contains 4 packed integers. I did the test and it seems to work. Are there some special cases where the data can be changed ?
Thanks.
Posted on 2004-10-17 03:23:13 by Dr. Manhattan
Hi all,

I'd like to know if movaps can be used to write to memory an xmm register that contains 4 packed integers. I did the test and it seems to work. Are there some special cases where the data can be changed ?
Thanks.

Your question isn't real clear. Would you please clarify? :) It sounds like you are asking if you can change the XMM register before writing it to memory. And yes you can. A lot of the standard ALU instructions work with an XMM register. You need a P4 to do integer operations on the XMM register. It's only suppported in SSE2. Here are some examples

pand
padd
por
psub
pxor

If you only have SSE, you can do pretty much the same thing but with floating point not integer.

andps
addps
orps
subps
xorps
Posted on 2004-10-18 21:11:53 by mark_larson
Thank you Mark, sorry I wasn't clear. I'd like to know if movaps and movdqa can be used interchangeably. The big advantage of movaps is that it requires only SSE.
Posted on 2004-10-19 01:57:08 by Dr. Manhattan