any 1 knows about good antivirus except Norton anti virus

Norton has problem he takes too much resources from my computer

i have heard on KASPERSKY ,

what do you think ?

bye
thanks

eko
Posted on 2004-10-19 09:46:28 by eko
AVG has worked well for me in the recent past. They provide a free version and the newer versions support SP2's security center integration. Norton and McAfee are bloatware at their finest.
Posted on 2004-10-19 10:55:25 by SpooK
I'll second AVG.

I dumped Mcafee over a year ago and started using AVG.

I haven't had any problems or issues with AVG. :)
Posted on 2004-10-19 11:20:22 by S/390
Nothing.

Don't play that game.

Instead, backup your computer because there is so much else that can go wrong. Be able to reinstall and get back to work in less than a half hour.
Posted on 2004-10-19 12:32:11 by bitRAKE
BitRAKE, even though AV isn't a replacement for backing up, it's still handy being able to stop incoming email viruses and stop worms and other malware from spreading inside a corporate LAN. This is especially true in "office" settings, where you can't make people use other programs than IE, OE and msoffice.

f-prot also seems pretty nice.
Posted on 2004-10-19 13:01:20 by f0dder
AntiVir Personal Edition

Nothing.
Don't play that game.

bitRAKE,today, nobody can imagine a modern army without armoured divisions.
Posted on 2004-10-19 13:02:50 by Vortex
Use AVG! It has much more better heuristics engine than norton/mcafee/panda.
Posted on 2004-10-19 13:29:15 by arafel
kaspersky and f-secure are both decent av's. but, specially in this board... the best av is hiew :)
Posted on 2004-10-19 14:03:55 by lifewire
Yup! I agree with bitRAKE.

no anti virus. I stopped using anti virus around 2002 and never got a single virus/trojan... ever since. (I usually install my nod32 every 6 months to check, if a virus exists, then uninstall - I don't like installing programs I don't use.)

I rarely update my operating system and I rarely backup too(which is a bad idea. LOL).

of course, I'm always careful of keeping track of what goes in and out of this computer.

if you really want one: try eset nod32
Posted on 2004-10-19 14:27:49 by arkane
BitRAKE, even though AV isn't a replacement for backing up, it's still handy being able to stop incoming email viruses and stop worms and other malware from spreading inside a corporate LAN. This is especially true in "office" settings, where you can't make people use other programs than IE, OE and msoffice.

f-prot also seems pretty nice.
Stop it at the server or forget it - big waste of time and resources.

The admins here will just swap out trashed computers or reload the entire office in an hour - all 100+ PC's in the department. Email and important stuff is on the server - which is double fault tollerant including a huge generator for this eight story building.

They test it regularly to find the weak link and all while not preventing us from doing our job.
Posted on 2004-10-19 14:58:12 by bitRAKE
any 1 knows about good antivirus except Norton anti virus

Norton has problem he takes too much resources from my computer

i have heard on KASPERSKY ,

what do you think ?

Fprot is probably the best. I have used it for years and test it against
renamed viruses I have in my TEST collection.

AVG is bloated and has some detection problems.
Posted on 2004-10-22 14:59:55 by skywalker
I've used Norton always in the past because I'm too lazy to look for something new, but I have had it stop a few from the incoming email bin. Since I don't warez I'm not worried but even so, I like to have an AV because, well, like that recent JPG vulnerability, don't have to do nothing but view an image and boom... but because Norton started their activation crap I'm looking for another AV vendor myself, I'll probly go AVG.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-10-22 15:11:04 by _Shawn
thanks for suggestions i'll look these antivirus up

bye
thanks

eko
Posted on 2004-10-23 13:26:07 by eko
After googling for the day I've come to the conclusion that it just ain't easy to determine which is the best AV to use. Everything is opinion and those comparisons seem to have so little details.

I've been using Norton since '98 and have been happy. I'm not happy with the activation policy they've instated lately (I'm against that in general, and no, not because I'm a pirate, I pay for my software). The biggest problem is that I (run a home network, no business) use Windows 2000 Server (soon to be 2003 Server) for my server needs so I can test and develop my software in the appropriate environments that I'll release it in. Norton is not cheap if I want AV protection on a server and so mostly I don't use that machine for internet access and hope the the AV on my clients will detect anything before it makes its way to the server for backup (file server).

AVG looks good on the price for the server, their 5-user network edition costs only $150 US and would cover my needs. Some people say it doesn't detect and others say it is really good but no one really says it has given them problems.

Sophos seems to be good but I can't locate a price on their page for something that supports Win2Kx Servers.

I don't like McCaffee because I've never not had a problem with them or had to troubleshoot a friends PC that didn't have problems because of it.

So I'm back to the same delimma. While I'm reviewing AVG at the moment, I need a little advice. Knowing that I need server support (and am willing to pay if necessary but I have my limits as this money comes from my paycheck)... is what should I use?

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-10-25 01:23:16 by _Shawn
I've used (and recommended to my employer - good enough for government work you know :-D ) several AVs over the years. The best I've used over all have been AVG (which I'll happily third) and Nod32 (which I'll second). They are the only two I still use even though I have the most recent Norton and McAfee for free (from work, not piracy 8).

and, as arkane said, I only install them about once every six months to check. My only windows box is for developement and it gets imaged every couple of days at worst. If I catch anything (very rare, hasn't happened in well over a year), I wipe it and restore from one of the images.

I'd seriously recommend putting one of your old boxes (I'm using my old K6-2 300) back together installing a Linux distro on it (I'm rather fond of Debian at the moment), setup a Samba server and keep all your windows files there. That way if you do get hit with something, odds are it won't affect the Linux box and you can clean the offender while you're restoring from your image.

As a side benefit it makes a great firewall/router.

All that said, I have no worries any more about virii. A quick image restore and I'm back in business, all my important stuff is effectively already quarantined. If you have to choose between Nortan and McAfee, choose Norton. McAfee is just too hard to keep alive (which is exactly the opposite of how things were about four years ago).
Posted on 2004-10-25 01:44:30 by ChupaThingy
i've used AVG, NOD32, F-Secure, Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky and Panda

AVG was horrible for me
NOD32 worked very efficiently
F-Secure works very efficiently also
Norton was a resource hog but it did the job
McAfee did its job too
Kaspersky wouldn't delete any virus I got, it'd only detect it.
Panda worked very well
Posted on 2004-10-25 01:50:51 by myke