Wow, I like this CPU. I'm looking over the programmers guides and optimzation guide.

They not only added r8-r15 (for a total of 16 general purpose registers), but the did it for every size of register:

R8B-R15B --> 8 additional 8-bit registers
R8W-R15W --> 8 additional 16-bit registers
R8D-R15D --> 8 additional 32-bit registers
R8-R15 --> 8 additional 64-bit registers
XMM8-XMM15 --> 8 additional 128-bit media registers

I care about registers because I have started work on a 64-bit optimized version of the PearPC CPU emulation code. We'll see how well it goes, also for my (unreleased) 6502, 65c02, and 65c18 CPU cores, I can well use the additional registers to my advantage... suddenly I'm starting to care less and less about 32-bit (much as the 32-bit days caused me to care less and less about teh 16-bit days).

I have a question: since VC++ .NET supports 64-bit builds, does that mean that the MASM 8.0 supports 64-bit assembly coding? Does anyone know?

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-10-19 13:40:03 by _Shawn
The MASM 8.0 I have doesn't do 64-bit, and I read somewhere that MS isn't going to write a 64-bit assembler or add that functionality to MASM.
Posted on 2004-10-19 13:43:43 by bitRAKE
I am reading in the AMD application portability guide that there is a MASM 64-bit assembler in existance and they show sample code for it. I presume it is in the 64-bit SDK. I'll look into it further.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-10-19 13:51:37 by _Shawn
Cool! Wonder where it is? I'll try the code when I get home to be sure. :)
Posted on 2004-10-19 13:53:32 by bitRAKE
It seems I'm not the only one to notice that little blurb... it is in the 64-bit Platform SDk or directly downloadable here:

http://www.sandpile.org/post/msgs/20004230.htm

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-10-19 14:09:21 by _Shawn
offtopic question, sorry

is it a good idea to buy a 64 bit procesor (AMD64) now, i mean, because computer will come with a 64 bit processor soon, so i wont have to buy a new procesor again?
Posted on 2004-10-19 19:53:05 by Rammstein
I have a question: since VC++ .NET supports 64-bit builds, does that mean that the MASM 8.0 supports 64-bit assembly coding? Does anyone know?

In the Win2003 DDK is "ML64.EXE" (Microsoft (R) Macro Assembler (x86-64)
Version 8.00.2207) located in folder \WINDDK\3790\bin\win64\x86\amd64.
This is not ML.EXE. It isn't a cross-assembler and I don't have win64 to test it,
but looking at the EXE I would almost guess that it has been stripped to generate
64-bit mode code only. The ML.EXE 8.0 I have from Whidbey does not support
AMD64, but I'm assuming there must be a ML64.EXE 8.0 in Whidbey - which
I don't have.
Posted on 2004-10-19 20:45:54 by bitRAKE
The link I posted above has it for download.

I found (but cannot find again) a link on MSDN that states that only the 64-bit SDK for VS.NET 2003 will be available upon request and no longer free for download.

Once I get my piece of crap computer working I'll be able to install the 64-bit stuff and see what's up.

I think my MOBO is bad since I've completely replaced every other part and purchased all new equipment that I intended to keep from my old PC but the place I purchased the MOBO from refuses to exchange or return it but wants to charge me untold sums of cash to look at it (which I let them yesterday) and said "everything is fine, we can't see any problems here.". I get home turn it on and in 1 hour the thing kept restart for no reason or would give me wierd errors when I open files saying it is corrupt or whatever. Since I purchased a warranty on the MOBO from them, I called the "support" line and their advice was to exchange it for different MOBO (not the same one) but the store refuses. I can't return it because items covered by their extended warranty become non-refundable but they want $185 to look at it and decide whether or not it warrants an exchange or whether it is my fault and if I should pay more money ($125) to fix it. Microcenter, what a rip off. I expect that from Fry's.

Now they want more money to diagnose it (which they should have done the first time) so I don't know what to do. The MOBO is $300 and I've already spent $200 on their "services" and on new components another $200 and therefore I am $400 over my budget but, I'm not going to give you a sob story. I'm just dissappointed, how could I be so naive to think a new PC would actually work and that the place that I purchased the parts from would refuse to exchange the very thing that is the problem.

On top of that I was hit by a car today crossing the streets by a guy who not only rad a stop sign but who kept on driving after he hit me. Oh well, I'm not hurt and he doesn't have a right-side mirror anymore.

This isn't my week.

Lets just hope I do well on my Chinese midterm tomarrow.

Sigh.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-10-20 01:38:08 by _Shawn
I feel your pain man - riding the technology wave is dangerous. The newest NVidia video drivers don't fully support my 6800 - reporting only VS/PS2.0 support. It wasn't until I installed a version only found on their FTP site that the CAPS were reading correctly ( ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/66.81/ ).

It could be something as small as a mis-print in the manual causing the problem, but those riding the wave wont know until after the c(r)ash! It is nice when it works as expected right out of the box, but I find that is rarer these days and has always been so as one approaches the edge. Luckily, some stuff has been debugged by others and the communication currently existing makes this easier for everybody.

Is there anyone else having the same problem with that MB?
Posted on 2004-10-20 09:41:26 by bitRAKE
Yes, there is. I found some usenet posts of people with my *exact* problem, the same memory brand and model and MB and the exact same ntfs.sys errors or other strange anomalies where files are corrup when you read them or transfer them over a network or whatever.

Some said they changed the memory and things worked. Some said they placed the dual channel ram sticks in the single channel ram slots and it worked fine. Me, I feel if I spend $329 on Dual Channel Ram and $270 on a MOBO that supports it, that it should work as expected. Others switched to an Asus MOBO and never had a problem after that.

I called their support line and they said to get a different MOBO as the first release of the MOBO I have has a IO capacitor problem that was corrected in newer versions but there's no way to know until you hook everything up what version you have (I purchased all the parts seperately from them but had them assembly the MOBO only since I wasn't in the mood to connect the cables, thankfully, since when they did the CPU and oringal MOBO was fried so they replaced it for me at no charge since it was their fault). But now they refuse to exchange or refund the MOBO unless I pay $85 to have them troubleshoot it first. It must be the MOBO as I've swapped out every other component except the CPU and sill have this problem. They might exchange the CPU but they won't refund it (I don't expect them to).

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-10-20 11:40:17 by _Shawn
Yeah, they need to swap out the MB.

I once bought a used car that stopped working - the fan snapped off and flew through the radiator. The car dealer wouldn't refund my money, so I parked the car out front of his lot with a sign on it reading, "This Dealer Sells Lemons!" The dealer was more than happy to refund the money, or put it towards another vehical.
Posted on 2004-10-20 12:16:16 by bitRAKE
anyone have the slightest idea whether anybody is porting NASM into 64bit (or maybe writing a bunch of macros?), likewise, do you think borland will extend and create a 64bit version of TASM?
Posted on 2004-10-20 23:28:06 by Drocon
I guess borland will do. Tasm is still be shipped (and can still be used) with their new c++ compilers, so if their c++ compiler can create 64 bit code, their tasm will likely do also.
Posted on 2004-10-21 04:57:10 by lifewire
Hello

I use yasm for about one year now : it is a 64-bit nasm version.
I use the nightly snapshots to get a Win9x version.
I code my OS with it (current stage : integrated debugger), Cf agner2.asm somewhere in this forum.

http://www.tortall.net/projects/yasm

Notice yasm will do like nasm : it won't natively compile your code to the shortest on an x86. This is not a bug, it is a feature -portability, etc, Cf their doc. So I feel like writing my own assembler too.

Regards
Posted on 2004-10-21 06:57:45 by valy
I got the new MOBO and have build the machine and there don't appear to be any problems. Now, I'm creating my 64-bit build environments... I'll let y'all know how it turns out :))
Posted on 2004-10-23 02:21:49 by _Shawn
I do intend to produce a GoAsm 64-bit version at some point in the future.
I do agree the AMD64 is a great processor, and using relative-mode addressing there seems to be scope for some interesting optimisation.

There was some limited discussion about 64-bit assembly at
http://www.masmforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1591
Posted on 2004-11-09 02:05:41 by jorgon