Hey,

This might be old news for some of you but it's new for me and I thought I'd share.

At the command prompt type at followed by a /? if you need help (some of us old dos'ers remember that ;)) and this gives you the power of scheduling any task through the command line.

Background story: I hated it when I defrag'ed my computer as this kept it busy and I couldn't really work on it - I also forgot to run that thing before going to bed or work, so basically I couldn't ever run defrag :shrug: which leads to 70% fragmented files on some of my HD's.

Anyways, using at 3:00 defrag c: sets up a timer to start defrag in the middle of the night, w/o me suffering any waiting or whatever - Please note it uses military time (the one and only good time (imo) - so 15:00 means 3 p.m.)

Make sure to check out the help option as you can even schedule repeating times like daily, weekly and so on.

Oh well, I'm acting like it's the holy grail - but in some sort it is for me.. I hate the Scheduler and this is easy and straight forward. Just nice.
Posted on 2004-10-20 20:55:27 by JimmyClif