is it possible to make applications with asm language? (MASM32 ?)
where can I find informations about?
merci
Posted on 2004-10-21 05:41:55 by franlou
Yes, it's possible , but the CPU is not x86, it's ARM - so you use Microsoft's assembler for ARM asm there. It's similar to x86, even cooler - but hard to really optimize your code until you've coded a lot in it. Optimizing for the recent PocketPC cpus is similar to optimizing for the latest x86 - instruction sequence changes affect performance. For example, a proc of mine for drawing polygons on screen was 42% faster than C code, and when I rearranged several instructions, it became 78% faster than C - rendering 320,000 20-pixel polys/s
Microsoft provide great free tools for PocketPC dev, + full documentation + WinCE is opensource. I wish I were a WinCE developer :) .
Posted on 2004-10-21 07:17:04 by Ultrano
If you wish to utilize assembly programming on your pocket pc, check out ARM-ASM.

As stated, it is a port of NARM, which itself is a clone of NASM... so expect NASM-like assembly utilizing the ARM instruction set.

Check out Pocket C# if you are interested in C/C# programming on the pocket pc.
Posted on 2004-10-21 08:51:22 by SpooK
it's a port of NARM, so maybe you should expect problems with linking. I had such. Used NARM with GCC, and the link asm-c was fragile. Thus I made my own macro preprocessor for GAS. I hope ARM-ASM has fixed this. Spook, have you tested it thoroughly ?
Posted on 2004-10-21 11:04:54 by Ultrano
I use ARM-ASM to produce flat binaries, so I couldn't help you in that area.
Posted on 2004-10-22 21:39:01 by SpooK
I want to integrate NARM in my ProEmulator. Any doc on the usage of command line of NARM? (I can't visit homepage of NARM)
Posted on 2004-10-22 21:47:21 by optimus