hi every body i wonder if any can help me learning assembly programming, problem is that they teach us the TASM asssembler!!

FASM assemblers told me that no one is using TASM anymore!!!

i know this is true but it's my course in the university so i have to know it!!!

any sites that helps & thx to u all
Posted on 2004-10-22 08:50:12 by b
TASM hasn't been supported or sold by Inprise in quite some time (in fact it's been such a long time that Inprise was called Borland when they sold it last). That's the bad news...
The good news is that MASM is quite similar in syntax, is freely available, and has a user-base.
If you don't want to use MASM because of some Microsoft based moral issues, then there are FASM, NASM, and GoASM which are all good assemblers in their own right, but will differ in syntax from MASM / TASM.

Remember, although you're learning TASM at university, the dialect of assembler isn't so important as the thought process. Once you know how to think assembler, you just need to learn the syntax for any variant (at least going from one x86 assembler to another).

Mirno
Posted on 2004-10-22 11:37:15 by Mirno
b,

If you are interested in TASM ideal mode:

Lazy Assembler (freeware) Version 0.47 (24 Jul 2004)

LZASM is an x86 assembler for DOS and Windows that handles the TASM (Turbo Assembler) IDEAL mode and produces OMF OBJ files. Support MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3 (PNI), 3DNow!Pro instructions.

http://lzasm.hotbox.ru
Posted on 2004-10-22 14:16:47 by Vortex
i have almost all assemblers on cd, tasm 1.0-5.0, masm etc 8)
if anybody wants then send PM
im using tasm everyday for coding 13h graphics etc. its best for this 16bit
Posted on 2004-10-22 15:20:55 by |ShAdOw|
well i know that i have to think assembly, but it's difficult!!!

i'm more used to high level programming!! it's like turning u mind up side down to try to assembl after java!!!

i wish if any can offer lists or tables of instructions for this TASM!!!
cause sofar i dont have atxt book!!! and my mid term is by 4th of nov!!!

u can also wish me luck!!! :)
Posted on 2004-10-22 16:04:25 by b
Here is something I found via the LZASM site, it is a manual for Paradigm
Assembler. As I understand it Borland sold the source code for TASM to
these guys and they took it from there. Paradigm Assembler supports TASM
IDEAL mode. This is a good reference for TASM.
http://www.ee.washington.edu/class/472/wtr01/reference/pasmug.pdf
Posted on 2004-10-22 17:28:27 by Greg
u can also wish me luck!!! :)
Java is like using a school bus to take only your child to school. Assembly is like walking your child to school. Good luck! :-D
Posted on 2004-10-22 17:41:08 by bitRAKE
yeh u r laughing!!! thx :x

i know it's difficult i know it needs more effort!!
]that why i'm asking for help!!!
]
i hoped u gave a hint or a site or anything that helps!!
instead of laughing on me!

any way thx to thoses who gave me the sites and the files!!
and u shadow i sent u msg but got nothing fro u!!
still wanna help!!!
Posted on 2004-10-23 12:08:33 by b
b,

The problem is that TASM is no longer sold or supported by the company that wrote it and they even have a different name now. There are other assemblers that have GOOD support that can do at least as much as TASM so if you want current and up to date tools, you will need to change. Look at FASM, GoAsm and of course MASM.

If you choose to stick with out of date tools, you get all of the problems associated with doing so, no technical data, no support and very few who still know anything about it.
Posted on 2004-10-23 19:08:22 by hutch--
I am one of those few that still use TASM 5.0 today

AFAIK new versions of TASM (ie 5.3) are included in new versions of Inprise C++ Builder/Tools.

I am working on a TASM compatible assembler -- but i was kind of busy lately ... so you can expect and TASM like assembler to appear in the future.

Besides that Hutch is right, using old unsupported tools requires old skills...
It is better to stick to new supported tools like MASM, FASM, GoASM while learning things. Also do not forget to use RADASM.

And indeed MASM and TASM have only some (minor but relevant) syntax differences :D
Posted on 2004-10-23 19:47:18 by BogdanOntanu
well guys i know it's old and afew know about it but it'm my course in university!!! i have to learn it!!! i told my teacher what u all told me but he says it's the easiest fot us!!
i dont think he knows what he's talking about!!!

i have to keep searching!!!

ok another help, i wonder if u have some ideas i can perform with assembly coz i have a project should be presented by the end of this semister!!!

thx to all
Posted on 2004-10-24 08:59:30 by b
Your teacher is probably most familiar TASM and it is easiest for him to teach. Just go along with it and learn TASM well. Learn how the CPU works. TASM is not that much different than MASM or other assemblers, you will be able to switch easily.
Posted on 2004-10-24 12:00:21 by Greg
Yes, for learning purposes TASM is just fine so your teacher is right.

The IDEAL mode looks better because it will state from the start if something is a MACRO or a PROCEDURE and will not confuze you with permissive "mov eax, my_variable" instead of the more correct "mov eax," syntax.

And the PROC syntax with separated USES, ARG and LOCALS statements makes it easyer to undertand and closer to HLL like languages. Also TASM has internal support for OOP programming accepting objects and methods natively (but i ever used that).

After you have learned it ...changing to MASM will be fairly simple.
Posted on 2004-10-24 12:51:25 by BogdanOntanu

Assembly is like walking your child to school

I don't know, I'm just learning it now (HLA and MASM) and it seems more like developing telekinesis to levitate your child to school. Veins popping out of my forehead and I still can't get the spoon to bend. Of course (before someone else jumps on that) I know there is no spoon, I just don't know there is no spoon quite yet. Fnord.

i'm more used to high level programming!! it's like turning u mind up side down to try to assembl after java!

I came from a VB/Java background and mostly use a proprietary script-like language at work. Check out HLA. The learning curve isn't quite as steep as other assembly languages I've checked out and you can weed out the high level stuff as you get comfortable instead of diving right in and hoping you float. Besides, Mr. Hyde has two (mostly) whole books on his site for it that are free. It's about the best thing to come along IMO since K&R's big practical joke that took over the world.

for coding 13h graphics etc. its best for this 16bit

I've never used TASM, but if your teacher's starting you out in console mode (makes sense for teaching the fundamentals) then it's probably a good idea to listen and use a tool that was designed to work for that format. I'd hate to have to learn windowing API and assembler at the same time.
Posted on 2004-10-25 01:15:44 by ChupaThingy