Hi people, I have a problem with my partitions, I have lost it.

When triying to install a new OS, the installation dosent recognogize the diferent partitions that I have in my HD and it see only like a unknow partition of about 30 Gb and it was triying to istall itself on that partition, then I reeboot, reenter to my OS and liberate the space of a partition for have free space to install the new OS, the problem is because I do this in a little diferent way I guess the partition table where not saved, when I reeboot and try the installation again, it continues only watching only one partition, now when I reeboot for make a backup, it dosent start :S..., the BIOS start ok, also show the message:

bla bla bla (normall information displayed at startup)

Searching for bootsector IDE-0... OK

But after that nothing happend.

I have tryed rescue of the mdk installation, reinstall grub or lilo, with lilo say me that: nothing can be done (because there are no partitions or some like that ), I dont remember what say grub, but is the same I cant do some, say me like partition table is corrupt or isnt there. I have also tried Partition magic and it see the HD like only one partition and sure dosent show operations for partitions or recognogize of what type is the suposed space of my HD, also in other PC with Windows it assign a letter to the disk but dosent watch the partitions :S.

I dont have a backup of the partition table, because I dont use floppy :S. I am sure that is a problem related to the table of partitions, some one know how to handle this trouble?, I dont wanna lost my data :( grrrrrr, I have like 12Bg of pure data, but I specially apreciate some things that I have there and my "favoritos"...., OK, what to do?

Have a nice day or night.
Posted on 2004-11-01 10:22:07 by rea
I guess you could use a disk editing program, and re-enter the table.
Posted on 2004-11-01 12:01:04 by Sephiroth3
Try testdisk:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html

It's free, open source, and runs on Linux as well as MS-DOS.
It's a really good program and it saved my ass when no other utility could see any partitions on the drive (just like in your case). Be sure to read the instructions though. This is assuming you didn't format the drive and the drive is not physically broken, otherwise I don't think TestDisk will work.
It also works with NTFS, in fact the chances of recovery are better with NTFS because it duplicates all important data structures in two locations.
What I did was boot from a knoppix CD, recover the partitions with TestDisk, and then mount the now readable (but not yet bootable in my case) NTFS volumes and copy everything over the network to a safe harddrive.

Hope this helps you...
Posted on 2004-11-01 12:27:59 by Qweerdy
thx, I will read the documentation, also I have finded this one: gpart.

Like what editing programm?, I have only finded things related to music ... :S

Let see what I can do.
Posted on 2004-11-01 19:39:12 by rea
If you install the operating system you won't loose your data. You will loose registered programs which can be re-installed and you could loose some drivers like video,sound and modem but they can be found on the internet with another computer. You will still have all the data in your folders. You might try installing another hard disk and configure your jumpers so the new drive is a master and old one is a slave and see if operating system on new drive sees your data. That would be a cautious approach.
Posted on 2004-11-01 20:52:20 by mrgone
I recently lost 100+GB drive -- windows did something and the drive was gone! No partition data on the drive! This program did the job - scanned the disk and was able to copy the files off. It works in a non-destructive way - doesn't alter the drive.

http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

Buy it, use it - it works!
Posted on 2004-11-01 21:40:31 by bitRAKE
The problem is that the partition with the data is ext2 :).

I have a knoppix CD, I will try the other two ones.

Yes I know that my data is still there, because I dont format or install the new OS. The problem was that the installation only watch the complete disck with no partitions and then for do a bad operation over the partitions (I guess I not save it correctly, dunno), I corrupt the partitions table. My recomendation is when a new OS and it dosent watch correctly the partitions for installation, do backups of data and partition table ;).

I first will try TestDisck in win, then gpart with knoppix. I will test booth of them for see what they do :).
Posted on 2004-11-02 08:57:45 by rea
One more for the Windoze family, a freeware called "PC Inspector" - crappy name I know - it's a data recovery tool which I successfully used to recover a failed hdd which happened to contain a magazine that was to be published the next day...
that freeware software saved us over $50 thousand in terms of that magazine being issued on time, and the cheapest professional data recovery lab was going to cost around $5 thousand... worth a look at any rate.
Posted on 2004-11-02 18:17:07 by Homer
I guess that was horrible :)...

Anyway, with TestDisck I am hable to see the first partition, and browse it, but dosent show more partitions than the first, I have a little question, if I say write the partition table, because is where I have the primary OS and in this one I have before access to the ext2 partition with my data, exist the posibility that I can access it and dosent matter that there no exist the entry for that partition?

Anyway I have sended the log file and a little description of the partitions and what I do to a mail provided in the page of TestDisck, hope they can give some hints.

Posted on 2004-11-03 09:19:39 by rea
You need to reconstruct the partition table, or at the very least, search the entire drivespace for lost file clusters and "reconstruct" your lost files... for this you should use a second drive, get all your files safely onto it, then you can trash the original drive and rebuild its partition table without risk to your file fragments.
Posted on 2004-11-03 16:22:14 by Homer
Thx, I will see what friend whant to trash their HD ;). OK, a friend that have some space to share :).

By the way, aparently with a more deep search that take a lot of time 1000 clusters in 5 hours have finded more partitions than only the first :), altought it find parts of remainded partitions that I have a lot time a go (fat an suchs), but where a power cut... :(, tomorrow I will try again :).
Posted on 2004-11-03 23:31:35 by rea
Hi people, I have recovered my data ;).
Posted on 2004-11-08 15:14:29 by rea
great :-D
Posted on 2004-11-09 06:46:39 by Homer
After recover the partitions with TestDisck (I will try the other anyway) I have used explore2fs for get back my data, this combination is nice.

Now I am downloading the OS that I use, pheraphs I will try another one...
Posted on 2004-11-09 08:30:21 by rea
mandrake hgb?

stay away from xfs under linux 2.6.8.x, it has a bug that doesn't appear in 2.6.7.x (I think it's fixed in 2.6.9.x)

ext3 is fine
Posted on 2004-11-15 05:21:47 by Hiroshimator
Thx for the info, did not know :). Yes mdk, I use it for diferent reasons ;) or any other recomendation?

By the way I have passed time shorting my information, and deleting duplicated files, a variety of sources where duplicated :) more than 3 times :S, I have doit my best for that I guess some files are still duplicated...

Posted on 2004-11-15 09:20:37 by rea
I use ubuntu, it's a modernized debian http://www.ubuntulinux.org
Posted on 2004-11-15 15:00:10 by Hiroshimator
Sorry for an off topic post. But what do you guys think of FedoraCore distribution? Looks like everyone using ether mandrake, suse or debian...
Posted on 2004-11-15 16:43:46 by arafel
FC is very bloated :/

it's redhat after all ;)
Posted on 2004-11-16 02:57:54 by Hiroshimator
Don't know how bloated RH is as I have never used it. But FC looks pretty tasty. (well maybe I so exited about it because it's an only distribution on which I got my vpn connection up and running in less than 30 minutes instead of the usual two hours of hellish script editing).
Posted on 2004-11-16 11:49:23 by arafel