.net
advantages (i am considering c# as the language)
Support for-
- delegates
- events
- properties
- attributes
- enums

Amazing documentation on MSDN. lots of samples & webcasts , videos , etc to ease the way for a newbie.

Visual studio is a nice fast ide being written in C++ and is more efficient than any mainstream java ide's which are written in java itself.

disadvantages
You are stuck to Windows.

Java
advantages
-Java 5 has almost all the features of c#. ( although i still miss delegates)

-Java ide's (Eclipse & Intellij's Idea) are far more advanced than visual studio.

-AspectJ is very nice. I dont know whether you guys have seen it or not. But there is nothing like this available for C#.

- Lots of free tools available as java has been around for a long time.

-Write once. Run anywhere. :wink:

disadvantages
-Documentation nowhere near as good as MSDN. you just have to rely on the javadoc comments.
- No delegates, events
- Java 5 will take time to become mainstream. most ides dont even support it.

As for me. I was stuck with c# a while ago. but now that i have started using java i have begun to like it more and more by the day.
Posted on 2004-11-02 04:19:28 by clippy
disadvantages

If I'm correct, there is an open source project for .NET on other platforms. I guess that Microsoft is even involved in it, but this can be a brainfart from my side :)
Posted on 2004-11-02 04:51:32 by lifewire
Just so people don't get confused. C# is not .NET. .NET is the framework you can write to. You can also use C++ and VB in .NET

I'm getting heavily involved in this area, just not there yet, and from my reading it seems many are giving a very slight edge to C#.

I'm having the same problem trying to decide between a Apache, PHP and MySQL combination compared to IIS, ASP.NET and C#/VB. My personal choice is the former because it's free but I'm working with others and they have access and familiarity with the latter so that's where we're going.

Although the docs at MSDN are good, it can be hard to learn from when you know nothing and don't know where to start. You may find what you think is a good starting point but they branch off to a million directions as you read and you don't know what's important first.
Posted on 2004-11-02 08:42:42 by drhowarddrfine
disadvantages

If I'm correct, there is an open source project for .NET on other platforms. I guess that Microsoft is even involved in it, but this can be a brainfart from my side :)

Yes, its called Mono. Microsoft is not involved in any way with it.
And its speed/ stability is nowhere near comparison to the ms version.
Posted on 2004-11-02 08:44:18 by clippy
Syngress' C# .NET Web Developer's Guide writes:

Platform and Processor Independence

The intermediate language is CPU-independent, and it?s much higher level than
most machine languages. Once written and built, a managed .NET application
can execute on any platform that supports the .NET Common Language
Runtime. Because the .NET Common Type System defines the size of the base
data types that are available to .NET applications, and applications run within the
Common Language Runtime environment, the application developer is insulated
from the specifics of any hardware or operating system that supports the .NET
platform.

Although at the time of this writing .NET applications run only on Windows
platforms, on June 27th, 2001 Microsoft announced that it had reached an agreement
with Corel to develop a shared-source implementation of a C# compiler
and the .NET Framework infrastructure components for the FreeBSD version of
Unix.This is currently expected to be available in a beta version sometime in the
first half of 2002.

A few weeks later, on July 10, 2001 Microsoft gave the go-ahead to an opensource
version of .NET being planned by Ximian, the developer the popular
GNOME user interface for Linux.You can find the project, called Mono, at
www.go-mono.net. The group is developing a C# language compiler, along with
the .NET Common Language Runtime.Work has also begun on the Base Class
Library.The release of the first usable Project Mono code is planned for the end
of 2001.
Posted on 2004-11-02 09:01:00 by lifewire
You can also use C++ and VB in .NET

Actually, you can't use C++ for .NET development. You can, however, use something called 'Managed C++'. The distinction is important, IMHO.
Posted on 2004-11-02 12:38:32 by death
I'm having the same problem trying to decide between a Apache, PHP and MySQL combination compared to IIS, ASP.NET and C#/VB

still trying to decide?? what is there to decide??
IIS - Stink
ASP/ASP.NET - Suckier
C#/VB - bah!!

and the winner is: Apache, PHP and MySQL!!!
Posted on 2004-11-02 13:00:11 by wizzra
I'm having the same problem trying to decide between a Apache, PHP and MySQL combination compared to IIS, ASP.NET and C#/VB

still trying to decide?? what is there to decide??
IIS - Stink
ASP/ASP.NET - Suckier
C#/VB - bah!!

and the winner is: Apache, PHP and MySQL!!!
Yeah, but the development environment looks prettier. :P {neener, neener, neener}
Posted on 2004-11-02 13:29:09 by bitRAKE
naa, i use homesite 4.5 and its enough for PHP.
no need state of the art IDEs to type simple text.

i have coded a complete online 32bit disassembler + pe editor in php without needing any special IDE.

althoguh i like VC6 ide, VS.NET IDE really blows.
and ofcourse RadASM :) for asm. (other authors rox too)
Posted on 2004-11-02 15:35:44 by wizzra
Like I said, I don't have a choice as to what to pick.

I have VS.net but I'm learning and coding using notepad! :-D
Posted on 2004-11-02 17:04:21 by drhowarddrfine
I'm being really sarcastic as MS has more marketing people that better products' companies have have programmers. Damn, I hate market. Marketing = bombard the ignorant until they purchase.
Posted on 2004-11-02 17:29:27 by bitRAKE
{neener, neener, neener}
aaaaah is like that how you say nana nana nana :)

What about a replace for PHP?, some like interpreted asm code :)... or the bytecodes inserted in some markups??? (altought little like java), but I dont like when I do a programm that I dont wanna by open source, the programm by the nature of the language become the programm in a open source programm, aka PHP programms ;). When a person contract you for do X thing you can not protect at less a little your code and that person not need demand the source code because is explicit with the choice of the language :). Anyway this answer nothing related to Java vs .Net.

Talking about that, Im special in some ways, I have losted learning java (now I return) because the tutorials at sun, specially the applets tutorials have some problems and I can not agree that they dosent modify them..., altough some thing similar pass with me about .net, I go to a little conference about .net time a go, all the time they say, hey look how similar java is to .net saying (implicetely) that java is a copy of .net and attaking sun in my point of view, also in that conference they say that they will give some CD with .net inside for free, that was another fail, because they only give t-shirts, I dont like such things, if you will offer a package make sure not only the package is OK, but the politics that you follow are right. Is for that I am not interested in .net, altough they have some interesting things, but that dosent impress me much (that sound like a song of shania twain ;) ).

Java for the moment will be continued is not more time relegated, altought I will be more patient with fails of the companies that backup their products, let see if .net can do some that I whant, altoguht I think I will not stick much to it (the time will say).
Posted on 2004-11-02 17:35:38 by rea

- delegates

Not that much OO to me...It's like a function pointer in C. I like the Java way better (passing an object that implements a given interface).
Bye
Posted on 2004-11-02 20:55:42 by GogetaSSJ4
Here's something interesting. An asm to il compiler:
http://www.viksoe.dk/code/asmil.htm
Posted on 2004-11-06 14:58:34 by drhowarddrfine
i personally just changed from j2ee (java) to c# for writing a website due to java's ...

1. "Compile Time" exceptions (requires you to implement "try / catch" around sometimes useless calls and your implementation is often annoying and useless).

2. OO-System of serving "Pages" (one instance of a "Page" class is used to serve multiple request .. c# an instance of a "Page" is created for each request, which means you can make use of member variables appropriately...)

and someone said they don't use the vs.net ide, neither do i ... i use textpad - http://www.textpad.com + "nant" (like "ant" for java) which you can find on sourceforge i think.
Posted on 2004-11-06 16:05:44 by abc123
and someone said they don't use the vs.net ide, neither do i ... i use textpad - http://www.textpad.com + "nant" (like "ant" for java) which you can find on sourceforge i think.

I can recommend the visual studio c# express 2005 beta very very much, the gui is very neat! And you can download/evaluate it for free.
Posted on 2004-11-07 05:22:04 by lifewire