I'm trying to use RadASM's integrated debugging, but am getting an error.

Using an example from AoA, ch. 3 ConvertToDecimal,
I've added the folllowing line:

#include( "\RadASM\hla\inc\radbg.inc" )

durng build the following error occurs:

Error in file "\RadASM\hla\inc\radbg.inc" at line 18 :
Expected ':', encountered '('
(Possible undefined ID 'GetLastError').
Near: << ( >>

the lines near the error in radbg.inc are:

17 pushad;
18 GetLastError ();
19 pushd (eax);
Posted on 2004-11-03 07:59:11 by folksinger
Try this:

include w.hhf before radbg.hhf

add a 'w.' before all the windows functions and constants in the radbg.hff file.

No guarantee that it will work, since I have not used it.
Posted on 2004-11-03 09:10:48 by Kain
Thanks Kain,

I hadn't included radbg.hhf, just the include file radbg.inc in the RadASM path. Now my include block looks like this:

program ConvertToDecimal;
#include( "\RadASM\hla\inc\radbg.inc" )
#include( "radbg.hhf" );
#include( "stdlib.hhf" );

I haven't yet tried your suggestion of including w.hhf and changing all the function and variable names because of your disclaimer of not having tried it :)
(that, and I'm not a great fan of trying things with no framework for understanding why - maybe I'll just keep reading and see if some of these things fall out along the way....)

I'm not even sure this is the correct approach. What I'd like to do is to at least be able to step through the assembly code produced by HLA.

Thanks again,

Jim
Posted on 2004-11-03 14:57:26 by folksinger
Upon further reflection, you don't have to include radbg.hhf and radbg.inc as they are both the same.

I believe radbg.hhf ships with hla and radbg.inc comes with Radasm.

You will have to include w.hhf as that is where all the API functions used in radbg.inc are declared. They are declared in a namespace called 'w' that's why you would need to append "w." for all the API functions and constants.

I'm not even sure this is the correct approach. What I'd like to do is to at least be able to step through the assembly code produced by HLA.

For this, you should try OllyDebug (links at the main HLA site).
Posted on 2004-11-03 21:38:52 by Kain
Kain,

Thanks for the help - I'm still in the "finding my way around mode" and appreciate it.

Update: ollydbg works fine!

Jim
Posted on 2004-11-04 06:02:42 by folksinger
At least part of my problem was my installation on a laptop running Windows 2000 - when I moved HLA and RadASM over to my desktop running XP the debugger seems to work fine.

Thanks for the help.

Also, I found that one of the descriptions on makefiles was right on Randy's site.... I just haden't reached it yet

Jim
Posted on 2004-11-05 06:07:40 by folksinger