hi ...

i've read a few of the discussions here about the gpl and it seems that it isn't well liked ... i've used the lgpl for one thing i wrote but i'm not 100% if that is what i want to continue using ...

does anyone here have an opinion on the most simple license for distributing free software that retains my ownership of the original, but not derrived works ? i have a feeling the freebsd one was good but looking at fsf.org they seemed to think it wasn't, and recommended x11 (which i've never heard of) ...

also, i've noticed more sites using the "creative commons" license ... just wondering if anyone here has any thoughts or what they use ...

Posted on 2004-11-09 17:33:44 by abc123
BSD license is good for this imho. It's simple and direct. It's the one I have used till i switched to OSL. This one is able to satisfy copyright of ownerships and licensed distribution of derivative works.. and another interesting moments I couldn't find in another licenses. It's pretty big, but simple and straightforward.
Posted on 2004-11-09 18:03:04 by arafel
First of all, what you have read about BSD license at the FSF site is not applicable to modern BSD license. In fact, the 3-clause BSD license is the closest to the public domain in all "open source" licenses. (And, RMS turns blind eye on the 3-clause BSD for obvious reasons.)
MIT/X license is similar to the traditional BSD license.

To reparaphrase Bill Joy (if someone does not know him, he/she better search the web for his/her own good), what BSD license says is to ask other people to treat your work just like an academic journal article - in the sense that anyone can benefit from it (by copying/using/studying/improving it) but no one can misrepresent the origin of the work. But, if you have been using LGPL, you might identify it as public domain. :)

Maybe http://www.openbsd.org/policy.html can help you decide. Of course, the link is mainly in favor of BSD license, but when you ignore some political implication, that page may give you the idea about how restrictive each license is, and you might find a suitable level of restriction.
Posted on 2004-11-09 18:36:44 by Starless
i chose bsd for now, i think, as it allows anyone to do what they like with it as long as i retain copyright ... thanks guys :)
Posted on 2004-11-10 23:51:28 by abc123
abc,

The most successful method is to write your own licence. If you wrote the code it is yours to do what you like with. Just write a plain language licence that says what you want that is easy to understand.

You do not have to take on another licencing system, as the author of your own code, just copyright it and allow other people to use it under the conditions you specify.
Posted on 2004-11-11 04:37:12 by hutch--