a while ago i had a topic about having a second screen without actually having a videocard which suports dual(or more)screen mode, all said that i need to write a virtual driver for that purpose, now was my question how to do this?
all i can find in that direction is VXD from iczelion's site (great tuts btw) but they dont run on NT-based systems as i recall correct, now was my question how to write a virtual driver that runs on XP?
Or how do i get an extra desktop (and i mean really extra, not that switching desktop prog) but without linking it to a hardware device (i need to be able to move my mouse outside screen to the other desktop (without it getting displayed on my screen but it must still launch icons when i click one).

i hope anyone can help me, Scorpie
Posted on 2004-12-01 07:14:59 by Scorpie
Read the great Four-F tutorials.
http://www.freewebs.com/four-f/

Regards,
Opcode
Posted on 2004-12-01 08:23:50 by Opcode
a while ago i had a topic about having a second screen without actually having a videocard which suports dual(or more)screen mode, all said that i need to write a virtual driver for that purpose, now was my question how to do this?
all i can find in that direction is VXD from iczelion's site (great tuts btw) but they dont run on NT-based systems as i recall correct, now was my question how to write a virtual driver that runs on XP?
Or how do i get an extra desktop (and i mean really extra, not that switching desktop prog) but without linking it to a hardware device (i need to be able to move my mouse outside screen to the other desktop (without it getting displayed on my screen but it must still launch icons when i click one).

i hope anyone can help me, Scorpie

I might not be understanding what you are trying to do, but where are you going to hook up the second monitor if you don't have a video card that supports dual monitor?
Posted on 2004-12-01 09:31:42 by mark_larson
well i dont want to rewrite my old topic again but 2 things:
1. my videocard does suport it but thats not the thing
2. i need it for this application im writing, i use this second 'virtual' monitor to store all the applications windows so people dont see them but i would still be able to capture their hdc (and make it update the hdc's)
that second desktop is just for storing some windows, there is no need to see it, you can if you want to but it doesnt matter and i dont want to use someone's second video ouput just when he wants to run my prog, or tell him he cant run it because his videocard doesnt support multiple screens or tell him he cant because he is using all his outputs.
this will make it a lot user friendly + im just curious on the driver part :)

Opcode, thanks ill start reading right now :)

edit: i've read a piece of that tut's now and they are great really, but now it got me wondering this is great stuff and all about how to write drivers but as far as i am now they only discuss accessing IO ports so maybe they will get to drivers for a virtual device later but if not, do you have more tuts about this subject (and maybe viedo drivers in specific?)

thanks, Scorpie
Posted on 2004-12-01 09:56:53 by Scorpie