So, it may seem to you like a stupid thing to ask, but I have no thuogts what to do, but I would like to.
Frankly speaking, I wanna to make something of a value to other people but not just for me but I can't concatinate together the low-level programming with sockets and with asm. I would be grateful if you could just say what I can do to make it useful...

I AM TIRED OF WRITING THAT STUPID VIRUSES ON ASM... :)))

Thanks
Posted on 2001-11-23 12:13:10 by Maestro
You could code anti-virus tools. :)
Much harder in my opinion!
Posted on 2001-11-23 14:00:30 by bitRAKE
There are more good anti-virus products, that mine. I can't make better than their ones.
Posted on 2001-11-23 14:25:36 by Maestro
Maestro,

I am glad you have given up on writing viruses, its a futile exercise anyway that only hurts other people.

I have seen different things that seem to interest guys with a low level background like yours, compression, encryption, OS drivers, utilities etc ....

You should be able to find a range of things that your low level background enables you to do that other people will find useful. It helps to look at what is around in the consumer range of software and see how badly a lot of it is done and this should also help you see what is worth writing.

You are welcome to use the MASM32 stuff to build smart bits and pieces and there is a lot of good info around in this forum that should be useful to you as well.

Regards & Good luck with you new projects.

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2001-11-23 14:36:56 by hutch--
Hey, you could write a new OS, better than Linux, better than Windows XP, better than Windows3.1, better than DOS.
And also try to make a new FileSystem, better than Ntfs, better than Fat (&32)...

No really stupid what I said, I think trying to make this kind of project must take a lot of time, a lot of ... you life in fact
Posted on 2001-11-23 16:14:01 by Vom-bonjour:-()
The best ideas come from inspriration and persperation - sweat and tears. :) Take your other passions and explore them in code. IMHO, I have many good ideas, but only the passion to carry a couple of them through to a product. Sometimes it takes a challenge - someone saying, "You can't do that!" Sometimes it takes an inprired vision of a finished product. Most the time it's a stubbling dumb luck coupled with perseverence. Just keep coding - little pieces here and there. Before you know it you'll be standing on one hell of a mountain of experience - like Hutch--. ;)
Posted on 2001-11-23 23:32:35 by bitRAKE
bitRake is absolutly correct. The world is full of many distractions and most of the times you will find yourself wandering off to something else in between of a project and thus leave it there. So make something that you really want to make and what you really might need. Beware that during the course of a project there shall be many distractions and many ppl would try to discourage you from achieving certain things. Keep faith in yourself and your abilities , then only shall you be able to complete a nice big project. :)

Best wishes from my side on whatever project you start off with.:alright:
Posted on 2001-11-24 02:49:00 by MovingFulcrum
bitRAKE,

>> You could code anti-virus tools.
>> Much harder in my opinion!

As for me, I don't think so, at least if we are not talking about non-resident .com :).
Posted on 2001-11-24 09:01:13 by Aquila
I have touched upen a very interesting topic to discuss, you see. A lot of new viruses/trojans so on appear just of the one problem: it is simply nothing to do to people, who have some knowledge of any programming language. I bet everyone had such feeling: you have a great deal of knowledge of some programming language, assembler, for instance. But you don't know where to use it with good prfit for you and other people. So... what are your next steps? I know: you begin to pay attention to something illegal, like exploits, viruses, ... I have not ever seen any forum threads like this, but I think, that they sould be -- just to point the way one's knowledge should be used correctly: a good example of this can be seen on www.rentacoder.com -- but offers just the same things to do.

I appriciate your advises, like writing anti-virus tools or new OS's, but, you know, there are good examples of them and they always are better than yours. Just as example, remember the BE OS. And what do you mean: code new?

I think, that opening a new topic, devoted to such computer ideas will be worthable to the "computerable" audience of the site, but it may need some time to be really good and helpful.

Anyway, I am sorry for the grammatical mistakes in this message. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Posted on 2001-11-24 11:46:41 by Maestro
2bitRake:
Do you have any ideas that everybody consider "impossible to implement"? If yes, please, write.
Posted on 2001-11-24 11:49:16 by Maestro
Maestro:

What about writing a mailserver
Posted on 2001-11-24 12:30:42 by WinCC
Yes, I thought about that. But I need something original, that would put my program out of other programs of that kind.
Posted on 2001-11-24 13:12:00 by Maestro
Maestro, you say that the other examples are always better than yours. Only rate yourself against yourself - have you been progressing towards your goals? You cannot fully know the path that others have traveled to do what they do, but you can know your own path. What prevents you from bettering yourself in your tasks?

I am working on some impossible tools. Not impossible in the sense that some people said, "that is not possible, " but in the sense of being very useful tools, such that they should have been coded already! But they are no where to be found. :) So, I assume either: 1. no one that could code them will, 2. someone has coded them but keep it for themselves, 3. they are not as useful as I think. :) I know it possible, but why don't these tools exist?

"What tools", you say?

Code generators and a new type of assembler. I know there are code generators that produce asm, but they are either a dumb compiler or based on some high-level theory that doesn't take advantage of the low-level-ness of asm. Every try to do string parsing in asm, and then change your mind about the syntax - may as well rewrite the whole thing.

As for the assembler: it is evolving slowly. One feature it will have is optimization - it will produce better code than VS even from a newbie asm programmer. Basically, I want to do things in MASM, but there are coding barriers that make asm not right for the job. So, either I switch to another langauge, or I create the tools with the feature I want for asm. The easy way is to switch to C (hi, f0dder - nothing wrong with C :)). Instead, I wish to create an assembler with all the oportunites for optimization that HLL have, but without loosing the control that exists in asm programming. The assembler will work to maximize cohesion in the object file, so the programmer can focus on containment of simplistic fragments of code. It should keep me busy for a few years..:grin:
Posted on 2001-11-24 14:00:41 by bitRAKE
I have an idea, I know of no other program like this.

I had throught about this but have decided it would be to hard,

One time when I was following Win32asm links on net, I found the Test Departments home page, and on that site is a little program which you enter a question/answer pair of strings, and it stores them in a database.

When it retrives the strings, it uses some sort of tolerence (I found the code really hard to understand) to retrive near matching answers.

For example:
Question: Glass
Answer: Window

Then retrive the answer:
Question: Glass

Question: Gkass

Question: Glas

Question: Gklas

Download the program from here:
td_win32asm_510.zip

Now, if you could copy the algo that program uses, and improve it so it could work on something like sound and graphics, you could manage to make youself something like a pattern matching program or more. With enough effort you could make yourself something that had a basic intelligence.
Posted on 2001-11-24 15:27:00 by huh
Yes, I fully agree with you all. At last I found waht I will code, but this is not not impossible to do. Of course, coding such tools and PL as BitRake do require some _not_basic_ knowledge of programming language you code. So, I will be glad to see (and, of course, to code) on a new language, especially if it will be compartible with asm.

But, there is much to be disered, so, I hope, huh's suggestion will help me. By the way: the MS Word's editor, while spell-checking uses the same routine, but, really, it is good.

Thanks to all. :)
Posted on 2001-11-25 04:26:23 by Maestro
> "...I would be grateful if you could just say what I can do to make
>it useful..."

What is universally usefull for any 'others' is freedom of Culture.
We, as programmers are one little, but not meaningless, part of world
culture.

The only way i know, actually, to maintain a bit of freedom in Software
culture, is to kill M$ first. Killing Billy-the-kid, with a gun, would be
very pleasant, but useless because there would be thousands of volunteers
wanting to be the master of the world in the place. So, the only way ever
found for this is the Open Source Mouvement and the only engine, the fact
of working for free.

Halas, actually, all important Open Source OSes (i suppose nobody here
will consider the ridiculous MenuetOS as a possible OS...), are written
in C. A great and very usefull Project (for Asm programmers), would be to
write the required tools to automate translations of Open Source C SoftWare
into Assembly.

This would require an Open Source Disassembler able to retrieve the
symbolic Names from the C Source and to reuse them in the Disassembly.
The first target would be to be able to re-compile the Binary after
analyses of the 2 original (Binary and relative Source) files. This
would be an important work requiring both knowledge of C and of Asm.

BitRake, I always have an impression that i am dreaming a nightmare
when i read such things as your upper post. When you stopped writing
with SpAsm and i asked you *why*, you just answered to me that you
did it because you were in need of being able to communicate with
others. Well, in what state will be your Asm Project, if one day you
come up with it??? I mean won't it be another margin choice, like
SpAsm is actually??? Or will you build up some pre-Parser like HLA,
upon the M$ shiet? Where is the logical in this?

Personaly, i do not see any kind of interrest at optimizing illusions,
but, if one wants to do something like this, at least (unless you want
to rewrite an entire Assembler from scratch), he should start with
some of the existing Open Source Projects (NASM, YASM, SpAsm, or even
FASM, as GPL is of course not an absolute requirement - i just do not
understand why Thomasz did not make FASM GPLed...-).

"Making something usefull" is, first, working at something that has
some real chance of success. As long as all programmers will want
to write theirs own Assemblers or theirs own OSes (always makes me
laugh a lot, but it's, in fact, rather a pity...), few things will
evoluate, and efforts will be spoiled in vain.

"Making something usefull" is, second, working for freedom. The simple
fact of using fascist tools, whereas free tools are available, is nothing
but working AGAINST freedom... and, if one hopes that freedom will
win at the end... "making something useless".

Betov.
Posted on 2001-11-25 07:43:29 by Betov
Betov, the world will be a different place in a couple years - who knows?
Posted on 2001-11-25 09:30:16 by bitRAKE
So, I have a question: are there any organisations, that offer a job and then pay for it? I mean the way it is on the www.rentacoder.com?
Posted on 2001-11-25 11:18:52 by Maestro
Simply ignoring the beginning debate, I like to add another suggestion. I'm not sure if there are such tools, anyway.

Write a .h Parser, which converts C++ Include files in ASM-ones without the need of corrections being done by hand.

"Filter" msdn-help pages for information about the structs and put all this together in an easily accessible way.

Further versions could extend that to the transcode of C++-Examples mentioned above.

Useful suggestion or redundant rant?
Posted on 2001-11-25 15:31:57 by fxcb
try making a texture/mesh generators like in .kkrieger
Posted on 2004-05-16 04:09:41 by Worms