Hey all,

I realize this isn't exactly an asm-related problem (which is why I'm posting in the heap), but other sources I've tried have been...not very responsive.

I decided to build a new system from scratch; this is the first time I've done this, so it's been an interesting experience :)

My system:

Motherboard: MSI K8T Neo2 FIR
Processor: Athlon 64 3200+ S939
Memory: 2x 512MB Kingston 400MHz
Graphics: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB)
Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA
PSU: ThermalTake XaserIII Silent PurePower 480W
CD-RW/DVD: MSI XA52P (also SATA)

The problem I'm having is when I try to install Win XP Home on this computer, it gets through the first part of setup, but after it reboots the system, I get this message:

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

I am wondering if this problem is somehow related to the fact that my harddrive is SATA. I load the necessary drivers by pressing F6 during the first part of setup (I get a stop error if I don't), but it still doesn't want to boot from the hard drive. From what I have found through Googling, some have suggested running Windows Recovery and running BOOTCFG, FIXBOOT, and/or FIXMBR. I did all three of these but it didn't make a difference.

Anyone had this problem or have an idea of what's wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
Posted on 2004-12-05 11:34:41 by sirchess
Problem solved...now up and running on my new machine :D

I found an XP "boot disk" on the 'net that was able to boot Windows off the HD and continue installation. I still wasn't able to boot off the HD, though, so I tried replacing "boot.log" on the HD with "boot.log" from the floppy. It worked! It is very odd that the XP setup screwed up the boot.log file :S
Posted on 2004-12-05 18:14:56 by sirchess