Hi all there,
I never did but isn't it possible to compile an executeable that holds exported functions? so that loadlibrary + GetProcAddress works on that exe? What do I need to tell link & ml exe ?
Dominik
Posted on 2004-12-19 11:09:00 by Dom
Don't you just add /EXPORT:ProcName to the LINK command line ? You may have to declare the proc as PUBLIC and STDCALL as well, not too familiar with how to do it in MASM.
Posted on 2004-12-19 12:17:14 by donkey
Do I need a .def file?
Posted on 2004-12-19 12:41:34 by Dom
If you have multiple exports it can be easier with a DEF file, but adding it directly to the link command line is enough. A DEF file only provides a list of command line options to LINK.EXE, it is never absolutely necessary, even for DLLs. Just be sure not to include the LIBRARY directive in the DEF file :

<start of file>
EXPORTS
SomeProc1
SomeProc2
<end of file>

on the link command line include:

/DEF:file.def
Posted on 2004-12-19 12:55:58 by donkey
I can't get it to work. The linker always tells me that he does not know the exported function: "Unresolved external symbol"...
Does anyone know how to do it? this is my attempt:

ml.exe /c /Cp /coff %1.asm
link.exe /Subsystem:windows /entry:DllEntry /def:%1.def %1.obj

my ASM File:

.model flat, STDCALL
option casemap :none

include \masm32\include\windows.inc
include macros.inc

includeboth kernel32
includeboth user32

ExportFunction PROTO

.data

.code
Main:

Unload:
invoke ExitProcess, 0h

end Main

DllEntry proc hInstDll:DWORD, dwNotification:DWORD, lpReserved:DWORD
return TRUE
DllEntry endp

ExportFunction proc
ret
ExportFunction endp

end DllEntry

The DEF file:

LIBRARY "test"
EXPORTS
ExportFunction
Posted on 2004-12-19 20:25:00 by Dom
You appear to have 2 entry points to the program, you can only have a single END directive as that is what defines the entry point. Also you are creating an EXE so you should not be specifying a library in the DEF file. I had absolutely no problems with the following...

.model flat, stdcall
option casemap :none

include Test.inc
Public stdcall TestProc

.data
hInstance dd 0

.code

start:
invoke GetModuleHandle,NULL
mov hInstance,eax
invoke ExitProcess,0

;########################################################################

TestProc proc
mov eax,100
ret
TestProc endp

end start

The DEF file was as follows:

EXPORTS

TestProc

The link command line :

LINK.EXE  /DEF:Test.def /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /VERSION:4.0 /LIBPATH:"C:\Masm32\Lib" "Test.obj"

I was able to extract an address using GetProcAddress in GoAsm (I didn't bother with MASM for the extraction) Calling the function as follows returned 100:

invoke LoadLibraryA,"Test.exe"

mov [hLib],eax
invoke GetProcAddress,[hLib],"TestProc"
call eax ;<< Returns 100
invoke FreeLibrary,[hLib]
Posted on 2004-12-19 21:27:30 by donkey
Your're the man, donkey. That was all I ever asked for.
What happens when the executeable library gets loaded? Any idea of how to include a DllEntry-like procedure?
Dominik
Posted on 2004-12-20 06:12:23 by Dom
Hi Dom,

If you want a DLL like entry procedure you can always just write a DLL and use RunDLL32 to run it as a normal application.
Posted on 2004-12-20 06:49:17 by donkey
Somehow all references to data structures (in TestFunction) lead to an error when loading the library/executeable and calling the GetProcAddress-value of "TestFunction"...? Perhaps I need to give a specific base address as linker parameter /BASE: ... ???
Dominik
Posted on 2004-12-20 15:30:52 by Dom