Hello guys,

I just need some suggestions from you guys. I am currently feeling bored as I lost my goal in what I should be coding right now. In short I am idling because I do not know what I should create. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Victor
Posted on 2004-12-21 11:09:37 by roticv
What about like only read some things?, write a book (I have writed one in the genre science fiction) :D? you can take a break if you whant and do some things diferent?

If you whant get some things at programming, then search for example "thesis" or "master thesis" or "phd thesis"

For example I have finded http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~heidrich/Papers/ see the section of thesis.

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/spring01/cs598b/papers/durand00.pdf

What was your goal? (I/we can know?), you will take it other time? for what you feel that you are loosing your way?
Posted on 2004-12-21 12:14:36 by rea
lock random threads ;)
Posted on 2004-12-21 12:39:45 by Hiroshimator
do yet another teterus or pong
or breack out you know some thing
that has ben done to death and is completely point less
Posted on 2004-12-21 13:31:13 by rob.rice
You want something new ? Try 64-bit asm programming ! :)
Posted on 2004-12-21 14:45:49 by Dr. Manhattan
Work on your website :wink: ?

or help flame Linux here :-D
Posted on 2004-12-21 14:49:02 by JimmyClif
get some emulator for cpu-you-had-never-used and learn the assembly lang. for that platform. always entertaining and useful time spending :)
Posted on 2004-12-21 16:50:51 by arafel
Boredom is caused by doing the same thing again and again and again ...
So, break this infinite loop by trying to code something you don't have any experience in, or even ideas for. The last time I did this, the "new to me thing" was game programming - and hey - I found what I love doing ;) . Do not try to spend too much time on details at first - they'll kill your interest. Do not think about profits at first - just make some app on a whim, with the new ideas and knowledge you've just gained. Otherwise this can make you fall in details. When the rough sketch app is as complete as it can be fun/useful for an hour (maybe less too), you can start thinking about details (and marketing if you want).
This way you hit 2 or 3 rabbits with one bullet - killing boredom, getting experience and knowledge that could later be useful, and earning some money for the time spent (not "lost", unless you feel really unhappy with the results).

I've done this many times, and I do not regret the time spent - and wouldn't regret spending it even if I hadn't "hit that third rabbit".
my 2 cents :-D
Posted on 2004-12-21 17:13:24 by Ultrano
"hit that third rabbit" Never heard that one before :)

From the context I guess it refeers to that moment in learning something new where its starts to click and you get comfortable with it and begin to see the bigger picture. Am I close?
Posted on 2004-12-21 18:19:48 by Eóin
Harold,

Nice one :-D

JimmyClif,

I need to pay for server first before I can get it back up again. Hehe anyway I have nothing against linux, so I would not be helping you out with the thread. Would just be lurking in the corner and laughing at the exchanges :)

Dr. Manhattan,

I do intend to do 64bit programming but too bad I only have a celeron and not a 64bit processor. :(

Ultrano,

That is a good idea. Do you have any suggestions on how should I start with development for games? I am not exactly interested in 3D games btw. Thanks for your suggestion.
Posted on 2004-12-22 00:15:10 by roticv
E?in, I was referring to the 3 targets mentioned just a sentence above, the third "rabbit" being - earning money - with spending time on something new.
roticv, OK, 2D games then - the problem is they need more complex art to look good. If you don't want to draw many sprites, you should then try to search what old game to remake - remember all old games you've seen, starting with the oldest one. Eventually you'll find which game you like and whose art is good but not too complex to make. I forgot to mention that I'm also a 2D/3D artist, so that making more than a hundred sprites and a few anime characters to fill in the games' mood wasn't too hard for me ^^" .
Old games accent on gameplay, not on graphics, so you'll be coding much more than drawing ;) .

Of course, it needn't be games you start as a hobby now - on sites like rentacoder.com, see what types of software can be made - get some demo/trials/shareware/freeware software to see what the final results should be, and then start studying the things that are necessary to make this software. You'll clearly see what are these things in the process of creating the app.

But if you choose to remake a game, first study its gameplay - how the sprites behave, affect each other, and get affected by global changes in the game (like timelimits). Learn how to use DirectDraw in asm (I've provided all useful includes on this board), and DirectInput for keyboard or gamepad (I prefer my games to use a gamepad). All else is a matter of creativity, algorithms and gameplay. In the games forum here you can find much (or all) of the info you need to start up.These two sites might help you understand how games are made:
www.thepixels.net
www.gamedev.net
:alright:
Posted on 2004-12-22 01:29:55 by Ultrano
Thanks alot for your recommendations. :)
Posted on 2004-12-22 02:43:51 by roticv