Hi all
I have some floppies that are arround 10 years old and some of these seam to not work anymore. Even after reformatting some still seam unreliable. I am guesing that CD-R/DVD-R will last a much longer time? My new PC didn't even come with floppy drive? Are they phasing out floppy disks?
Posted on 2004-12-29 22:21:25 by QuantumMatrix1024
Depends on the storage environment.

If anyone lives in tropical climates, I read some time ago of a fungus or some other organism that can grow in or into CDs and destroy it.

I still have a lot of files on floppies, but I no longer store new files on them. Transfer of files can be more easily accomplished with USB memory "drives" or through a LAN, and off-system storage can be done with CDs or memory drives.
Posted on 2004-12-29 23:58:16 by tenkey
Also depends on the brand of media.

CD-RW disks usually last for 25years and support up to 1000 rewrite cycles I used to have some 8 years old CD-RW disks of some almost unknown and really bad brand. Now half of them became corrupted.

By the way. CD-R disks are supposed to last for 70 up to 200 years. DVD-R should last for 40 up to 250 years. DVD-RW should last for 25-100 years. And floppy disk should last forever. Of course all this applies only if correct storing conditions are used.

Imho you are right about phasing out of floppy disks. CD-RW drives became very common, USB memory sticks too. And files become larger and larger everyday. In these days floppy media capacity\access time rarely will satisfy one needs.
Posted on 2004-12-30 09:01:02 by arafel
70 years should be enough time, and if I'm still around then I can copy my files to new discs :)
Posted on 2004-12-30 09:58:37 by QuantumMatrix1024
If you can remember where you stored them... :-D
Posted on 2005-01-05 08:23:10 by Homer
My thermal paper printouts have all faded long ago - can't read a thing. :lol:
Posted on 2005-01-05 19:20:01 by bitRAKE
it depends on the media and env you put ur storage deviced in.
i have cds kept in cases and nearly touched them, i can barely copy 40mb from it without windows going jamming every sec.

i guess a good known media and a safe keeping is a good solution.
though i find the web a much better storage enviorment than my own house :D
Posted on 2005-01-06 01:58:55 by wizzra
Floppies are finely powdered rust glued to a doughnut of mylar, and put in a plastic housing lined with handywipe. The most common problem in my experience is glue failure, which allows the transfer of oxide to the head (where the contact of the spinning disk burnishes the mix of glue and oxide into a little rock). I have not found a way yet to pretreat old floppies before trying to read them. (I'd sure appreciate input if you've found a way.)

Once the oxide has transferred to the head, agressive treatment with a cleaning disk and alcohol is the only solution I've found to make the drive servicable again. (When the heads were more accessible, I'd use a fingernail to flick off the rock, then clean it.) However, cleaning disks are abrasive by nature, so the life of the drive is certainly shortened by this procedure.

3.5" floppy drives are still cheap, so stock up now. It is already getting hard to find blank floppies (Costco and Sams no longer sell them, and Walmart and Office Max seem to only offer pricey 10 packs). And try to transfer your stuff as soon as possible!

Recording files on a hard drive is great as long as you retain the ability to read the file system on the drive (true of all media). However, I wouldn't trust a drive for achival storage.

I've been told that CDRW media is more likely to be archival due to its use of a metal phase change instead of an organic dye like CDR. I haven't found confirmation of this. I assume the same would be true of DVD. Unfortunately, the RW is subject to erasure. The smartest disk drive I've seen was made by Harry Schure at Innotronics, who coined the term Floppy, in an 8" single sided drive with a write protect switch! The switch would be a trivial addition to contemporary drives, but I don't know of any that have implemented it.

Flash is probably the best bet for local storage, but the best backup move is to also use the net to back up critical files at a great distance with a host that has redundant storage and frequent backups. That way a local catastrophy such as a fire, flood, or earthquake will not wipe out all the copies of your data (or personal items such as family pictures!).
Posted on 2005-01-23 02:42:22 by steverose
My father have cds from 30 years ago, in a tropical climate and are
stored in cases from the plastic ones; square shape. Still look new, it also
depends on how you store them. I'm waiting with the technology of the gamecube cd, to be able to put like 20 gbs in one disk.
Posted on 2005-01-24 17:53:42 by Statix Star