Hi

Is there a data base or dictionary which tells what all the ASM functions mean?

Example

jne jump if not equal
je jump if equal

I've read a few tutorials which I mostly understand and have a table which tells what most of the jumps mean but what about things like this.

edi
mov
eax
xor
lea
dword
ptr

I'm trying to make a no CD patch for my game.

I'm finding it difficut to interpret what many of the symbols mean.

Thanks
Posted on 2005-01-04 03:48:07 by stevenroyals
Get the MASM32 package from www.masm32.com and install it. In the help folder you'll find something like opcodes.hlp - this is what you're searching for!

/siddhartha
Posted on 2005-01-04 04:02:01 by siddhartha
Thanks for your help.

Steve
Posted on 2005-01-04 04:37:24 by stevenroyals
Please explain a little...
Patching a game that you did not write?
Posted on 2005-01-04 04:52:30 by BogdanOntanu
I bought a game 'Age of Empires'. It has a bug in the program, each time I play it, it asks to insert the CD even though I have fully installed the game.

I have other games which have become damaged through handling the CD every time I want to play the game.

Steve
Posted on 2005-01-04 05:24:15 by stevenroyals
well, if u don't know asm & knowledge, how do you gonna patch it ?
there are tricks for such games, and i am sure the game could be packed with a commercial packer.
i guess u can search in the web for a ready no cd patch.
Posted on 2005-01-04 05:41:54 by wizzra
I've had a look for a patch but couldn't find one for this particular version.

If I keep reading and asking questions perhaps one day I will understand how to get rid of this bug.
Posted on 2005-01-04 05:49:56 by stevenroyals
Well it is not a bug, it is that you are not using the original CD.... :-D

Things aside, have you taken a look at the rules of the forum? Do you need me to quote something for you?

There will be no crackz (i.e. programs that alter another program with the sole purpose to defeat its protection scheme allowing for unauthorized usage) or reverse engineering allowed. Reason: see warez. This rule goes for public posts as well as private messages.

You are forewarned..
Posted on 2005-01-04 06:14:50 by roticv
Get the MASM32 package from www.masm32.com and install it. In the help folder you'll find something like opcodes.hlp - this is what you're searching for!

For a more complete opcode help you might like x86eas, it includes the instruction set up to the Pentium Pro, including MMX instructions. I have mirrored it as it can be a bit hard to find...

x86eas.zip

However, the best reference is the Intel IA32 architecture manuals, they are available for download in PDF format from Intel.
Posted on 2005-01-04 06:38:01 by donkey
Thanks for pointing out some of the rules to me. In my 3 hours since joining the board I hadn't got around to reading the rules.

With regard to the CD, I guess I'll have to take special care of it and make sure I don't damage it.

Steve
Posted on 2005-01-04 06:38:58 by stevenroyals
It is not a bug in Age of Empires...

It is by design. A commercial protection to avoid installing and playing on multiple computers in the same time without the Original CD. Even if you are able to install on multiple computers, you can only play on one PC...if it asks for the CD each time.

Circumventing such an protection scheme would mean breaking the law ;)

The laws or capitalismus that you guys so much love (and i dislike completly because they are sub-humman). So please do respect the laws. If you do not like them then militate to change them by law... but do not "break" them. Besides legal issues and rules of this board there is a humman aspect in respecting even wrong laws:

If you have to respect wrong laws...sooner or later it will reach your "conscience level" that you must do something to change such laws... BUT if you choose to "easy break" them... THEN as a consequence you will get by... and you will consider that the law is not so bad and maybe you should not change it because "who cares anyway?"

But the law is still there and somebody else will be hurt by it...and even more you will fail to understand the law and the system that produced it ... you will not understand from personal experience.

So please obey the rules of this forum and the rules/laws of your country... it is the only way you will understand :D (hopefully someday)
Posted on 2005-01-04 11:50:18 by BogdanOntanu
for a handy little (albeit old and dos based.. ) download helppc21, unzip it, run the build.bat file and then run helppc.com and select 'assembler programming topics', it explains most of the assembly commands, what they do etc.. very handy as a reference, i used it years and years ago when i started ;) url is : ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/programming/helppc21.zip

if the url doesnt work, a simple google search for 'helppc21' should do the trick

also if memory serves, age of empires is safedisc or safedisc lite protected, so good luck heh
Posted on 2005-01-04 22:14:16 by evlncrn8