I have an idea on making a program for viewing guitar tabulatures. I mean it's program like guitar pro, power tab etc. but the interface must be like in adobe acrobat (the "page" style). It must be - non text tabulature.

I don't have any ideas on how to make drawing of the notes, lines, lyrics etc.

If someone know any sources that can help or have any ideas or somethink that can help me please write here

P.S. I'am not newbie - but i never used graphic functions so i just don't have any ideas...
Posted on 2005-01-09 07:23:21 by Anorak
It sounds like a form of optical shape recognition, much akin to OCR for text but with a different set of data inputs to recognise.
Posted on 2005-01-09 09:08:18 by hutch--
At first i need to make a program which can view (and edit) the tabs. I mean typing them. The tab recognition is much harder thing...

hutch
do you know where can i get any info (or sources) on OCR?
Posted on 2005-01-09 10:43:36 by Anorak
abbyy.com/products/

i played with that scantooffice product some time back

looked use full at that time
Posted on 2005-01-09 10:52:18 by bluffer
Anorak, do you want to scan in tablatures and have your program recognize the shapes, or do you "just" need help on how to graphically represent guitar tabs? Very different tasks, and the latter being a lot easier.
Posted on 2005-01-10 08:57:11 by f0dder
The main idea of the program is recognizing the tablature. But first of all i need to make a graphic representation. That means i must create file format (for tabulatures) and implement the drawing of the notes (and tablature)...

Maybe my english is not so good....
Posted on 2005-01-10 10:42:08 by Anorak
This project would really interest me (being as I work at a recording studio and have played with the idea of learning to play guitar).

What I would like to see is a very visual representation. For example take a bitmap of an actual guitar's neck and have the points be highlighted (using a red dot, which could be a bitmap overlay itself). To do this would require you to flip the tablature upside down first then translate to be used with the image. Unfortunately, I can't be of much help in the process of doing this, I suggest making a post in the Gaming section of the forum, since doing this is alot like what a game does anyways.

Regards,
Bryant Keller
Posted on 2005-01-10 11:30:03 by Synfire