Hi all,

I don't know if I posted in the good area, I did it here because my problem seems to be relative to high level ASM, please, move this topic if I mistook. Thanks.

So what's my problem ?

Do you know what you have on the screen at the boot of your computer ? Particulary, the capacity of the memory and the cpu frequency have been displayed.

Me, I would like to change this cpu frequency that we see at the boot.
Also my question is :
Do you have an asm code (or a method) to do that ?

I precise that I don't want to overclock my processor, I just want to change what is displayed.
For instance, I have a computer with a Duron 800 Mhz (AMD) and it shows me "800 MHZ" at the begining, instead of that I would like that it displays me "1000 MHZ" (or other) but staying at 800 MHZ in reality.

Thanks in advance for your help... :wink:

PS : It's possible that you didn't understand me, it's because English is not my main language (I'm french ;) ). So if you want I can try to explain my problem a second time.
Posted on 2005-01-15 04:14:16 by azerty1000
Now that sounds like a very weird thing to do - why would you want that? :)

To accomplish it, I guess you would have to modify your BIOS. This is a risky thing to do, and to do it, you'd have to Reverse Engineer the image to find out where the frequence text is displayed. And unfortunately, R.E. cannot be discussed on this forum.
Posted on 2005-01-15 08:22:57 by f0dder
Now that sounds like a very weird thing to do - why would you want that? :)

Indeed...:-D
I simply would want to make a joke to my friends (for instance : "Hey you!! Look my computer, it has a 6 GHZ processor.":lol:) but also I would like to start learning ASM for processors/BIOS/logical level, I thought that it would be well for the begining.

To accomplish it, I guess you would have to modify your BIOS. This is a risky thing to do, and to do it, you'd have to Reverse Engineer the image to find out where the frequence text is displayed.

Yeah!! Thanks for this information :wink:! But how can I do to have the image of my BIOS ? Is there a tool to do that ?

And unfortunately, R.E. cannot be discussed on this forum.

Could I know why please :) ?

Thanks for the help... :)
Posted on 2005-01-15 13:52:27 by azerty1000
An image of your BIOS... I guess you could dump the BIOS memory range ;). The best solution would be getting the latest flash update from your motherboard vendor, and have a look at that. There are various programs out there for manipulating these images.

But this is not going to be an easy task, and you risk getting your system into a state where you can't boot it, and can't even enter the BIOS.

f0dder wrote:
And unfortunately, R.E. cannot be discussed on this forum.

Could I know why please :) ?

Because of amercican law, most noticably the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Too bad.
Posted on 2005-01-15 14:07:11 by f0dder
Ok, thank you very much for your help, now I know where I can look for. :)

But this is not going to be an easy task, and you risk getting your system into a state where you can't boot it, and can't even enter the BIOS.

Yeah!! It'll be more funny :-D ... All right!!

Because of amercican law, most noticably the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Too bad.

Ok, I understand, we have that kind of law too in Europe (For those who want to know more about it : an example : cf "Loi sur la Confiance en l'Economie Numerique" in french.).
Posted on 2005-01-15 17:22:05 by azerty1000