I am planning to upgrade my pc. My hard disk will remain the same. I do not wish to format it and install all the stuff all over again.
But the problem is my os installation (win xp) already has all the drivers installed for my sound card, video card, motherboard,etc. So when i change the hardware will win xp refuse to boot up or something??
I just want to know how should i go through the process of installing the new drivers,etc for the new hardware without doing a clean install of windows.
Posted on 2005-01-19 17:12:21 by clippy
Well first of all, I would advise against using the exact same OS installation with new hardware. You will probably run into some weird errors that have no apparent cause and the reason will be resource conflicts, driver conflicts, or something simmilar. Doing what you're planning is a bad idea.

That said, your hard drive will probably still boot with new hardware and Windows will (with any luck) still start up. You will have a bunch of Plug and Play (PNP) dialogs pop up that will walk you through hardware installation. If you choose to take this route, I would advise you to uninstall all your existing drivers prior shutting down your computer for the last time. This will make the reinstallation of drivers easier. Make sure you follow the instructions for driver removal especialy for your video card.

Good luck, you're gonna need it.

Spara
Posted on 2005-01-19 20:45:49 by Sparafusile
Well, I do this all the time with no problems. XP will figure it out. You can go in later and uninstall anything you won't use if you wish but it won't affect your new hardware use.

In fact, I just did some swapping of hard drives around between two systems a few weeks ago. Just do it and don't worry about it.
Posted on 2005-01-19 23:42:50 by drhowarddrfine
I got the same thing to work by having the cab files on the hard drive befor the
swap ( although there were a lot of drivers to remove with the device manager )
linux diden't chock at all it just reported that the devices weren't there
and the kernel messages have ben the best source of info I have had on this computer ( all I could find on the OEM web site was one broken link)
Posted on 2005-01-20 14:36:35 by rob.rice
In my experience, doing that kind of "upgrade" is a very bad idea. If you're lucky, you'll get a BSOD about inaccessible boot device. If you're unlucky, you risk a sh1tload of weird and subtle bugs.

If it's a problem for you to format, it sounds like you need a better partition layout - have a partition just for system + apps, it makes it much easier to reinstall the OS.
Posted on 2005-01-20 15:38:29 by f0dder
I second drhowarddrfinedrhoward. Left only my HDD the same, too - and haven't had problems since then. Reinstalled DX9 asap.
If this way you have problems with "unaccessible boot device", first do the "fdisk /mbr", if the problems are there again - reinstall the OS or everything.
Losing all your settings and installed software is too unpleasant, don't you think, f0dder? :-D
Posted on 2005-01-20 15:52:06 by Ultrano
Losing all your settings and installed software is too unpleasant, don't you think, f0dder? :-D

Ever hear of a backup? If you have a seperate partition for your operating system then you can just format that one and reinstall XP. It only takes about 30 minutes and will save you a lot of time down the road. If you've installed other programmes on a seperate partition, you can reinstall them to the same location after you've reinstalled you OS and all your settings will be restored (atleast the ones that weren't in the registry). If you're worried about your desktop wallpaper, shortcuts, or your favorites then just back up your profile before you format the OS partition.

If you don't have a seperate partition for you OS, then make one this time and you wont have to later on! Intelligently partitioning your hard drive will save your ass if you start having bad sectors or if your hard drive crashes anyway.

Spara
Posted on 2005-01-20 16:36:39 by Sparafusile

If this way you have problems with "unaccessible boot device", first do the "fdisk /mbr", if the problems are there again - reinstall the OS or everything.

"Inaccessible boot device" is a NT BSOD, not a bios loader thing, so fdisk won't help. It happens if you move to a "too different" disk controller or harddrive location. I guess pata->sata or switching to/from SCSI or RAID controllers could cause this, or perhaps if you're unlucky, a different chipset.

Losing all your settings and installed software is too unpleasant, don't you think, f0dder? :D

Not really - I have a slipstreamed+nLite tweaked CD, which gets the base Windows install up and running very fast. I have installation medias for all the software I have, and while it's a nuisance to install and configure all the software, this happens rarely - and I *much* prefer a clean system when I do have to do a reinstall. Also, I have my "documents and settings" stored separately, and my desktop/shortcuts/yaddayadda separately from docs&settings, this simplifies things *a lot*. When I get my new AMD64 box, I'll even do a ghost of the setup when I have it in a proper (and clean!) state.

If you don't have a seperate partition for you OS, then make one this time and you wont have to later on! Intelligently partitioning your hard drive will save your ass if you start having bad sectors or if your hard drive crashes anyway.

I cannot stress how important this is - or, perhaps, rather how much easier adminstration, backup and reinstall becomes.
Posted on 2005-01-20 17:18:14 by f0dder