Thanks to both of you. I'm tied up for a few more days but I plan to try both methods.
Posted on 2005-03-01 10:47:35 by drhowarddrfine
FreeBSD's base installation doesn't include a webserver

Actually, Every FreeBSD release I have ever installed, though it's in source form, contains THTTPD (Tiny Hypertext Transfer Protocol Daemon) in the /usr/src collection. It supports CGI, multi-threading, and .htaccess/htpasswd files. Only down side to it, it only supports GET and POST, it doesn't support HEAD, and since it uses poorly implemented multi-threading, if a lot of people connect the system's load average will cause it to crash. But it does (in my experiances with FreeBSD) come packaged with the installation.

Regards,
Bryant Keller
Posted on 2005-03-15 09:42:50 by Synfire
I have FreeBSD on one of my other machines.  Now I'm trying to get comfortable with it and find out where everything is and how to work it.  I bought the book "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey which was a mistake and I can't return it because I marked it up.  It might prove useful once I get more knowledgeable but it's not for beginners. 

Today I bought "FreeBSD Unleashed".  I flipped through it last year with a copy from the library.  Some don't like it for the errors or whatever but I need something I can lay in bed and read.  (I'm such a geek).

I'd also like to get japheths's or ultrano (I think) httpd server working but that would be a side project.  FreeBSD gets you back to the command line so you're not distracted with all the pretty windows and blinking lights.  I feel like a computer guy again.
Posted on 2005-03-15 10:41:05 by drhowarddrfine