Hi guys sorry about the way off topic question but I'm a bit stuck.

I've been setting up a FreeBSD server and everything works absolutly perfectly from home and I can access the server from anywhere. Thing is the server is for someone else and when I move it into their network things only work until I try to ssh into it from outside, then their whole network goes down.

At home my modem and hub manage the dhcp and port forwarding, for them they've a windows 2000 sever for dhcp and probably other things, its their modem which seem to go down cause it has to be restarted after the problem.

It really seems like it shouldn't be possible for my server to do this. Web email and everything else running off the server works unitl I try and ssh into it, but perhaps someone knows of setting in windows 2000 or modems or such which might cause this? I know its a long shot but I can't really play with their network settings cause its more compilcated than I'm used to.
Posted on 2005-02-02 09:41:18 by Eóin
So at home you have a DSL or Cable modem which acts as a NAT / DHCP server, and at their end you also have a DSL / Cable modem? Is the rest of their network connected through the win2k box, or is it just a regular server on their network?
What happens when you connect with SSH, does it even connect? What brand & type is their modem?

I think you best bet would be to google their modem's type number, see what you can come up with. Maybe it needs a firmware upgrade (maybe risky, so better have them do it instead of you :) )
Posted on 2005-02-04 08:07:27 by Qweerdy
Thanks for you thoughts, I'm not sure of the specifics of their network, I can and will find out. For the moment I was pointed to this faq question. It seems promising, but if the mtu changes must definitly be made on all computers I'm logging in from then its going to be a bit awkard. Also have to figure out how to make that change on WinXP.
Posted on 2005-02-04 08:27:42 by Eóin
Well found a cool little program, SG TCP Optimser which allowed me to easily change windows MTU, now I just need to make the change on the server.
Posted on 2005-02-04 10:01:18 by Eóin