I've implemented the following (automated) generic ServerSide protections thus far:

-Detection and elimination of Zombie Clients (Tolerance=5 seconds)
-Detection and elimination of Idle Clients (Tolerance=2 minutes)

I was going to leave the Client IP Duplicates heuristics for the "protocol classes" to deal with, but on reading your remarks, I've decided to implement them in the core classes in a switchable fashion, so that the programmer can determine the tolerance applicable per protocol.
Posted on 2005-05-28 08:30:56 by Homer
The problem is if you just do socket it will be unsecure becaus you can't use a .htacess file
Also you won't be able to use PHP Pearl java flash or python
Posted on 2006-06-12 20:06:32 by tjweb

The problem is if you just do socket it will be unsecure becaus you can't use a .htacess file
Also you won't be able to use PHP Pearl java flash or python

That's not true at all. You don't need .HTACCESS for security, .HTACCESS is for allowing directory specific configurations, not security (yes you can disable directory listings, etc but that can be done using a global configuration file or it could be hardcoded as well). The security of the server will be based on the validation of the input fields and how you manage that data. As well, good security will require the server to be run at a lower privilage level (or to at minimum execute CGI scripts at a lower users privilage level) but this can be done on 2K/XP systems using the runas application.

As for PHP, PERL, and Python; CGI is really a trivial addition. All you have to do is, instead of reading the contents of the file, execute it and pipe the output to the client. Once again, a trivial task. Java and Flash are in no way included in that list because they are both executed client side, Java uses a virtual machine integrated into your web browser and Flash uses a similar engine. The client will make extra requests for those files and the server will mearly have to send the files (everything else is handled by the client's system).

Regards,
Bryant Keller
Posted on 2006-06-13 21:09:36 by Synfire