Take a look at this -
http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenblog-archives/000473.html
http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenblog-archives/000369.html
http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenblog-archives/000374.html

I dont know what kind of ruthless b*****ds enjoy doing such things. The kids are pretty much harmless and this will totally ruin their lives.
Posted on 2005-02-22 18:57:51 by clippy
meh, stupid fanbois broke an NDA... welcome to the real world children, don't sign things you don't intend to hold yourself to. Frankly if you release a 'for your eyes only" version of windows to the general public, do you really expect MS not to come after you?

Maybe this is a good lesson for them: if you want a good open-source (mentality) unix-like OS, why not use a proper one like *BSD or <whatever distro> linux instead of "all our uninteresting bits appear to be open" Apple.

I'll never understand the appeal of OSX
Posted on 2005-02-23 13:31:10 by Hiroshimator

Good hardware support, ease of use?
Posted on 2005-02-23 14:59:52 by f0dder
OSX is like a blonde, it looks good and is easy to use... but there isn't really all that much going on inside :lol:
Posted on 2005-02-23 15:16:29 by SpooK
Apple is gonna ruin them real bad if they follow through. I go with most of the ppl there, dont ruin their lives for this.
Posted on 2005-02-23 16:05:49 by x86asm
Isn't its core FreeBSD?
Posted on 2005-02-23 16:34:54 by drhowarddrfine

Good hardware support, ease of use?

you wouldn't say that if you used one :P

(I know, I have ;) and iTunes sucks :D )

OSX is a mach kernel with a *BSD (mostly freebsd) userland
Posted on 2005-02-23 17:12:02 by Hiroshimator
Haven't used one, that's just what I've heard. Have a friend who had to do some adminning on macs, he said doing an OS upgrade was as simple as dragging the DVD icon to the HDD icon :)
Posted on 2005-02-23 17:15:04 by f0dder
yeah but it's a bsd upgrade so that's only the system :)

it's not like your custom apache will be upgraded/bugfixed...whatever
Posted on 2005-02-23 17:18:11 by Hiroshimator

it's not like your custom apache will be upgraded/bugfixed...whatever

True, but how many regular users run a custom apache? Afaik, macs are mostly aimed at them regular users? :)
Posted on 2005-02-23 17:28:55 by f0dder
noooo, they're about ooooooooooniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiks!!!!1111 servers :P

!!!!111

it's the UNIX, dunno wot it dus but it haz to be good, no? (general apple user response)

the sweet irony of this all is that Steve Jobs + Steve Wozniak used to earn money by selling blueboxes for rippig off the phone company.... takes a pirate to know one :twisted:
Posted on 2005-02-23 17:33:37 by Hiroshimator
Someone broke into my house last night, this morning as I was about to call the police, my neighbour says to me:
"Hold on a minute there, the guy who did this is probably a young person, probably with a family to feed. Don't call the police, it's not that bad, they didn't steal everything, and your insurance will cover it".

We all break the law from time to time, speeding, downloading music, playing loud music late at night, only "little" things. It doesn't matter though, it's still breaking the law, and if we get caught that's our problem because we did wrong. These kids knew what they were doing, and they knew deep down it was wrong. Apple isn't ruining their lives, they ruined their lives.

The judge (if they have any sense) will give an appropriate sentence, and they'll tidy up a local park under comunity service or something (assuming they show remorse).

Mirno
Posted on 2005-02-24 07:54:55 by Mirno
They should be punished, sure, they need to be taught a lesson. But still their lives shouldn't be ruined - it's not like they committed murder. Some community service would be fine, rather than the insane fines some kids have gotten for sharing a few MP3s.
Posted on 2005-02-24 10:32:09 by f0dder
I just think of it as yet another prime example of how "my Mac saved christmas"

When were you actually served?

The court clerk / private investigator showed up at my door on Christmas Eve.

:mrgreen:

I guess I'm too mean a man :) (but I always found Apple to be worse than MS)
Posted on 2005-02-24 10:33:40 by Hiroshimator
They should be punished, sure, they need to be taught a lesson. But still their lives shouldn't be ruined - it's not like they committed murder. Some community service would be fine, rather than the insane fines some kids have gotten for sharing a few MP3s.

I totally agree with f0dder on this
Posted on 2005-02-24 10:39:33 by Hiroshimator
I agree too.
Posted on 2005-02-24 11:43:25 by clippy